[spectre] Re: the media art center of 21C

Elizabeth Guyon bab at ddeluxe.com
Thu Sep 8 21:21:08 CEST 2005

Le 8 sept. 05, à 20:00, rene beekman a écrit :

> if we are discussing a new definition of media arts centres, we should
> also be willing to discuss a new model of funding for those centres -
> whether that is government, industry or otherwise.
> if we are unable or unwilling to question funding models, then that
> puts severe restrictions on the possible available modes and models
> for this media art centre that we're trying to redefine and i fear
> that whatever the outcome of this discussion is, it will just be
> another way of saying more or less the same thing with the sole
> purpose of securing our funding for yet another few years.
> until the next ntt or whoever it may be at that point of time triggers
> this discussion all over again...

I haven't been in the field for "ten years" but I really feel that rene
beekman makes a big point here (if I've understood it well...).

We are currently trying to deal with the french public administration
tendancy to ask for "economic models" for media arts each time funding
is in the ballot. ("We" means a group of artists and institutional
managers producing media arts or whatever it's called in Marseille and
around, specially in the Friche Belle de Mai art center)
We are not opposed to the concept of "economic model" in itself (it can
always be subverted) though it doesn't mean anything just saying so and
we are afraid the public administration just has no idea about it
either. So we really feel that this (marketing ?) concept has to be
discussed and defined regarding our activities.
We are having discussions right now about how and wether to answer to
this new criteria to ensure our means of artistic production
(creation/production as well as being able to show it).
But somehow I wonder if it's not a question of how we talk about media
arts to the funders, how we communicate on media arts, more than what
we really do that matters ? what's new really ?

  Where can we find "attempts to fund media art centers" otherwise than
through governments or industries ? I'd be glad to get more content on
that topic.