[spectre] News about the the exhibition "Touch me" in Zagreb, Croatia

martin pichlmair pi at attacksyour.net
Tue Sep 20 11:16:52 CEST 2005

when i was in edinburgh last week it amazed me to see how few
wireless networks up there are open. in fact, the only way of
checking email would have been to buy an account at t-mobile (think
it was 5 pound/hour) and sit in a starbucks cafe to read my mails. so
much for the mega-corporations.
in contrast, the city of tallinn (the estonian state?) seemed to have
equipped half of the city with free hotspots and here in vienna there
is certain tradition of running open wireless networks in cafes. of
course the access points themselves are usually password-protected.

so: what is this project about?

is it art as an attack on free networks and freedom in general?

don't they know that real evil crackers are not attracted without
challenges?

one more story:
there is a shop near vienna that has no cashiers, and neither cash-
desks. goods - mostly from farmers living in the village - are there
in plenty; mostly sheep and goat products e.g. milk, meat and cheese.
everything is price-tagged and the customer is ordered to drop the
money into a box in the shop. now if i were one of the NRD Van i
would presumably walk into that shop and exchange all price tags or
do any other funny stuff to teach people about their (quote from
below) "... combination of user ignorance, complete absence of will
to learn ...", would i?

maybe i'm just a bit critical today and teaching people computer
security is right by all means - even when enforcing behaviour
through code (by encrypting and securing wireless networks without
any need) ........
martin

ps: my wlan at home is open. use ssl to protect my proprietary laptop
(from the "technological mega-corporation" that builds on bsd). i
trust people not to misuse it and so long, no one did. would be happy
if someone ever contacts me when i'm online at home.