[spectre] News about the the exhibition "Touch me" in Zagreb, Croatia

martin pichlmair pi at attacksyour.net
Tue Sep 20 15:19:25 CEST 2005

> well, as far i get it, the hacker's ethic is about to show weakness
> of the system in order to improve it.

hm. afaik ... not really.

according to wikipedia:

In modern parlance, the hacker ethic is either:

- the belief that information-sharing is a powerful positive good,
and that it is an ethical duty of hackers to share their expertise by
writing free software and facilitating access to information and
computing resources wherever possible; and/or
- the belief that system hacking for fun and exploration is ethically
acceptable as long as the hacker commits no theft, vandalism, or
breach of confidentiality.
<<<

according to Steven Levy as found in Coleman:

Steven Levy, who was one of the first authors to systematically
research and write about the university hacker sub-culture, describes
the following ethical principles that emerged from the MIT hacker
community:

""Access to computers should be unlimited;
All information should be free;
Mistrust Authority-Promote Decentralization;
Hackers should be judged by their hacking, not bogus criteria such as
degrees, age, race, or position:
You can create art and beauty on a computer;
Computers can change your life for the better"" (1984:40-47).

Levy, S. (1984): Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution. New
York: Bantam Books.
<<<

see: Coleman, G.E.(): The Politics of Survival and Prestige: Hacker
Identity and the Global Production of an Operating System, Masters
Thesis, University of Chicago, 1999 (http://healthhacker.org/biella/
masterslongversion.html)

i think that an open wireless network per se is a good idea because
"All information should be free" (see above)

or: if all wireless networks would be open no one would have ideas
about printing stuff on his neighbours printer - or it would even be
a quite nice way of communicating

lg
martin

>>> http://nrd.picigin.net/app/backend/Spoof_9/news.bbc.co.uk/