[spectre] (fwd) EMERGENCY BIENNALE in Chechnya, in Tallinn

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Fri Apr 28 10:43:24 CEST 2006

A SUITCASE FROM TALLINN TO GROZNY

EMERGENCY BIENNALE in CHECHNYA

/world tour/stop 6 in Tallinn, Estonia

at Tallinn Art Hall, 26 April-7 May 2006

Tallinn Art Hall

/ Tallinna Kunstihoone

Vabaduse Square 6

10146 Tallinn, Estonia

Opening date : 26 April 2006, 4 pm

>From 27 April to 7 may : W-M, 12 am - 6 pm

Adel Abdessemed, A Constructed World, Dennis Adams, Maria-Thereza Alves,

Francis Alˆøs, Aija Apse, Maja Bajevic, Ruth Barabash, Aija Bley, Sylvie

Blocher, Blue Noses, Mark Boswell & Anton Kozlov, Marc Boucherot, Vˆ©ronique

Boudier, Kristians Brekte, Mathieu Briand, Santiago Caicedo, Cao Fei, Jota

Castro, Raimond Chaves, Chen Shaoxiong, Paolo Chiasera, Magali Claude,

Jimmie Durham, Al Fadhil, Seamus Farrell, Fu Jie, Adriana Garcˆ‚a Galˆ°n,

Ghazel, Roya Ghiasy, Kaspars Goba, Mxrtixx Grauds, Yves Grenet, Gu Dexin,

Andris Grinbergs, Daniel Guzmˆ°n, Jens Haaning, Han Myung-Ok, Alfredo Jaar,

Uldis Jancis, Edgars Jurjxns, Elxna Kalnixa, Kolkoz, Koo Jeong-A, Roman

Korovin, Linards Kulless & Una Meiberga, Neeme Kˆºlm, Gabriel Kuri, Surasi

Kusolwong, Marco Laimre, Raimonds Lxcxtis, Marko Mˆ§etamm, Gilda Mantilla,

Oda Projesi, , Jˆºri Ojaver, Lucy Orta, Damiˆ°n Ortega, Gionata Gesi Ozmo,

Adrian Paci, Emmanuelle Rapin, David Renaud, Thorbjorn Reuter Christiansen,

Nina & Torsten Rˆmer, Julian Rosefeldt, Gatis Rozenfelds, Krixs Salmanis,

Juan Esteban Sandoval, Santomatteo, Sarkis, Zineb Sedira, Shen Yuan, Nedko

Solakov, Pascale Marthine Tayou, Bert Theis, Rirkrit Tiravanija, Jaan

Toomik, Enzo Umbaca, Anton Vidokle, Cesare Viel, Luca Vitone, Wang Du,

Florence Wang, Hans Winkler, Sislej Xhafa, Yan Lei, Yang Fudong, Yang Jie

Chang, Zheng Guogu, Zhu Jia, Aiva Zurina, and the special participation of
Alighiero e Boetti (ref. Francis Alˆøs project).

We are delighted to announce a new stop of the touring part of Emergency

Biennale in Chechnya to be taking place in Tallinn, Estonia, one of the ex

bastions of Soviet union which remained occupied from the end of 2nd world

war until the regained independence in 1991. Like in Riga, Latvia, where was

occurred the last stop of Emergency Biennale, Tallinn represents a

significant aspect of the project as to involve this region in activating

the public opinion and human memory ’Äì almost half of the population of both

cities is Russian.

Emergency Biennale in Chechnya has been invited by Johannes Saar, curator of

the Center for Contemporary Arts in Estonia, and is a collaboration with

Tallinn Art Hall and the artists of its current exhibition "Violence and

Propaganda" (08/04 ’Äì 28/05), Elin Kard, Marco Laimre, Marko Mˆ§etamm and

Andres Tali, who felt honoured to host and give a place to itinerant

Emergency Biennale from 26/04 to 07/05 as to synergize the both events.

Johannes Saar explains : "Having seen Emergency Biennale in Riga and knowing

what our four artist are coming up with, I have this idea of organizing one

exhibition within the other - one embracing the other while both are

addressing same issues : violence, brainwashing, media cultivated world

view, silent acceptance of what is going on in Chechenia ."

On this occasion, Emergency Biennale in Chechnya welcomes the estonian

artists Neeme Kˆºlm, Marco Laimre, Marko Mˆ§etamm and Jˆºri Ojaver who gave an

artwork in two examplaries : one for the next suitcase going to Grozny,  the

second for the present show and the next stops of the world tour that will

end up in Grozny too.

>>  CONFERENCE DAY: "The moral choices of an artist in cultural conflicts"

27th April, from 10.30 am to 7.00 pm

organized by Center for Contemporary Arts of Estonia, at Tallinn Art Hall.

This one day conference will gather philosophers, critics and artists with

different educational backgrounds as to question the chances and the need of

artists to express their opinion about the strained relations between

liberal democracy and Islam. An encounter which attempts to discuss whether

unrestricted practising of individual freedom and creation will lead to the

collapse of civil society, and in the longer term, to the emergence of

control society’Ķ

Speakers include Margit Sutrop, Tartu University Centre of Ethics ; Johannes

Saar, Center for Contemporary Arts in Estonia ; Marek Jˆ§rvik, Tartu

University Centre of Ethics, Ene-Liis Semper & Eero Epner, Theatre N099 ;

Marco Laimre, artist ; Pirjo Honkasalo, film-maker from Finland.

The event is supported by the Estonian Cultural Endowent.

More information:

http://www.cca.ee/en/tegemised/konverentsid/addenda/the_moral_choices_of

The conference day was born in co-operation with the artists of the

exhibition "Violence and Propaganda" and in inspired by the themes  of

Emergency Biennale in Chechnya.

>>  A bilingual catalogue gathering these interrelated events will be published

soon.

     INFORMATION:

     KAASAEGSE KUNSTI EESTI KESKUS

     / CENTER FOR CONTEMPORARY ARTS, ESTONIA

     Vabaduse vˆ§ljak 6

     10146 Tallinn, Estonia

     ph  +372 631 40 50

     fax  +372 631 40 49

     http://www.cca.ee

     On ’ÄúViolence and Propaganda’Äù exhibition and Tallinn Art Hall :

     http://www.kunstihoone.ee

Emergency Biennale in Chechnya / Tallinn stop

has been co-organized by:

Johannes Saar, curator of Center for Contemporary Arts, Estonia

/ Evelyne Jouanno, founder and curator of Emergency Biennale in Chechnya

The event is supported by Tallinn Art Hall and Estonian Cultural Endowment.

Emergency Biennale in Chechnya  is supported by

International Federation for Human Rights Leagues, FIDH, Paris

www.emergency-biennale.org

info at emergency-biennale.org / press at emergency-biennale.org