[spectre] Mapchester Mapping Weekend

Drew Hemment drew at futuresonic.com
Sun Apr 30 18:50:07 CEST 2006

Mapchester: Making an open-source map for Manchester

Download this invite: http://10.futuresonic.com/download/
mapchester_invite.pdf

INVITATION
Mapping Weekend
Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th May, 2006

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapchester

++++++++
** When bands like the Happy Mondays stalked the Hacienda, Manchester
was dubbed 'Madchester'; now, a new generation of phreaks are in
town, renaming the city 'Mapchester', showing that it isn't just
music that puts the city on the map. **
++++++++

Mapchester is a collaborative 'wikimap' project, generated and
maintained by users in the same way as Wikipedia. It kicks off with a
Mapping Weekend, when Manchester is mapped in a weekend! A number of
spin off projects will then take place during the Futuresonic
festival, 20-23 July 2006 under the Mapchester banner, and the data
generated will be used in a test-case festival guide.

Mapchester will generate a new kind map of Manchester - produced by
collective, community effort that will be completely copyright-free.
Mapchester was first proposed at the PLAN workshop (http://www.open-
plan.org), as a test-case for how a city could be mapped and a guide
for a festival created on collaborative and open principles.

Mapping Weekend invitation: We are seeking map hackers and citizen
cartographers to participate in mapping the city for free. Our goal
is to bring together as wide an array of different people who are
interested in mapping and get them to walk / cycle / drive / bus /
train / skate / etc / along city streets recording GPS tracks and
noting down road names. These tracks will then be put online in the
OpenStreetMap database and edited into map features. We hope that
collectively people will work to completely map whole quarters of the
city over the weekend.

Please spread the word about Mapchester and forward this invitation
to come and map Manchester to other people who might be interested.

Getting involved:

map. Head out with a GPS device (Global Positioning System, which
monitors signals from satellites to record location) and notepad to
record street names and other notable features. You can map for the
whole day or just for a few hours. No prior mapping experience needed
- intro briefings and equipment training will be provided.
held at 10am and 2pm both days.
Street, Manchester M1 6ED, see http://manchesterdda.com/article/12/ .
(The space has been generously provided by the Manchester Digital
Development Agency and they are also helping in signing people up to
take part.)
an email: mapchester at manchesterdda.com or call Jo Blackwell on tele:
0161 255 8111. (Please indicate on what days you want to participate
and whether you have your own GPS / laptop.)
equipment (GPS, laptop, camera, notepad + pencil, etc). If you don't
have a GPS receiver, don't worry, there will be a number of extra
units available on each day. If you have never used a GPS receiver,
don't worry either, hands on training will be provided.
(m.dodge at manchester.ac.uk).

Some background:

Mapchester is an experiment in 'citizen cartography' that we hope
will make a significant contribution to wider efforts in so-called
'open-source' mapping. This an emerging and rapidly growing
cartographic activity, driven in part by technology (cheap GPS
equipment and online collaboration tools, like OpenStreetMap.org),
but also by a very different ethos to knowledge production. Under
open-source models the right of authorship are de-centred and the
ownership of knowledge is seen as a common resource that can be
distributed and re-used without restriction or license. As such
'opening' up mapmaking has real potential to empower people to create
their own knowledge and encourages re-use of cartographic resources
in novel, creative ways.

The map data produced for central Manchester will contribute to
OpenStreetMap.org, one of the leading projects in the open-source
mapping field. Currently, OpenStreetMap has mapped 25,000 kilometres
of roads in the UK, including all motorways. However, thus far the
majority of this data is for London and Birmingham and many other
major cities are hardly mapped at all. It is hoped that an intensive
effort to build a map of the whole of a city in a weekend will
inspire others and be important to build momentum across the country.

All the map data generated for Mapchester will be free to view, edit
and use via the  OpenStreetMap platform. An editable map will also be
created and used as a test-case festival guide for the Futuresonic
International Festival, held in Manchester 20-23 July 2006.

Mapchester mapping weekend is supported by:

    (http://www.futureeverything.org/)
    (http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/geography/)
www.manchesterdda.com/)

Mapchester organising committee:

Steve Coast (OpenStreetMap.org); Drew Hemment (Future Everything);
Mick Lockwood (Salford University); Martin Dodge & Chris Perkins
(Geography, University of Manchester).

Thanks to:

Mikel Maron (WorldKIT), Libby Miller (FOAF), Ben Russell (PLAN),
Steve Benford (Mixedreality Lab) and all others supporting this project.