[spectre] conf. WOS4 - Information Freedom Rules, Berlin 14-16 Sept

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Wed Aug 16 10:36:38 CEST 2006

Wizards of OS 4
Information Freedom Rules
International Conference
14-16 September 2006
in Columbia Hall Berlin
http://wizards-of-os.org/

Four weeks to go till WOS4. We were thinking about holding a beach
volleyball competition during the conference to prevent our joints
from becoming rusty from all the sitting and talking and hacking, but
if the temperature continues to drop at the current rate we might
have to do with snow-ball fights instead.

Fortunately there is a tropical wind blowing into WOS4 from the
Southern hemisphere. The digital revolution will definitely not be
televised but if we believe Brasil‘s Minister of Culture Gilberto Gil
it will be tropicalised. How does the spirit of funky samba and
caipiroshka get into silicon and bits? Hear about it first hand from
Claudio Prado, Head of the Department of Digital Culture at the
Brasilian Ministry of Culture. On the final session of WOS4, „Brazil,
the Free Culture Nation" [1], he will be speaking about hacking the
government, spanning a network of free „culture points" across the
country and achieving autonomy. The „pontos de cultura" [2] will be