[spectre] "Quote me!" by Garrett Lynch

Garrett Lynch lists at asquare.org
Wed Dec 6 19:02:06 CET 2006

Announcing the release of "Quote me!" by Garrett Lynch:

http://www.asquare.org/project/quote-me/

(please be patient this may take a few moments to load)

Every good artist has at least one quote, aphorism or soundbite
attributed to them, yet the new media artist barely has time to keep up
with the rapid change of technology let alone spend time thinking of
witty aphorisms.

"Quote me!" is a work, triggered by users to its web page, that reuses
quotes and the date they were expressed from various online sources for
the busy new media artist who hasn't time. Quotes are relevant comments
to current political and social events, both nationally and
internationally, taken from the current headlines of a handful of
global newspapers via their respective rss / xml feeds, yet placed
without context or explanation.

Information and the database have become the ultimate pervasive
commodity. New things are no longer said and done instead they are
recombined, recompiled or remixed from the archives we are continuously
compiling both as individuals and as a race.

"Quote me!" is in a sense an agent for the artist. Reusing the media's
carefully edited information as source for quotes the agent is able to
automatically recycle information for the artists use. Allocated
parameters it is given free reign to search and retrieve others quotes
from the internet, republishing and archiving them on its web page.
Quotes are attributed to the artist ensuring that (s)he has a voice in
a space where things need to be continually said. The importance or
profoundness of what is said becomes unimportant, replaced instead by
the regularity and continuous act of saying.

A web 2.0 tool or service as work of art, "Quote me!" both continues
themes of net.art (reusing, recycling, transforming) and simultaneously
highlights the redundancy of it as a tool when the content is
unoriginal and without context. It draws attention to the highly
important exploration involved in these types of recombinatory net.art
works, not possible outside of the internet, yet questions the same use
of techniques employed in their creation for the critical discourse
that surrounds them in our collaborative, tagging, reblogging and ever
more copied, unoriginal content of web 2.0.

a+
gar
Garrett at asquare.org
http://www.asquare.org/