[spectre] UBERMORGEN.COM: Lilly controls my Foriginals

Hans Bernhard play at ubermorgen.com
Tue Feb 21 22:44:54 CET 2006

UBERMORGEN.COM (lizvlx/Hans Bernhard)

Lilly controls my Foriginals

Text by Domenico Quaranta

For their first Italian personal exhibition, the Austrian artist duo
UBERMORGEN.COM* (lizvlx/Hans Bernhard) is showing a synthesis of
their recent work -- a subtle membrane connecting the digital and the
biological: a mix that UBERMORGEN.COM, an identity that lives and
works on the Net, experienced on their own bodies. One of the best-
known exponents of the net.art scene, UBERMORGEN.COM are the
theorists of digital actionism, a radical practice of artistic action
which experiments on the market of attention and takes place in mass
media. The most astonishing result of this kind of practice so far
has been Vote-Auction (2000), a web site that, during the American
presidential elections 2000, helped people sell their vote in an
auction. The legal prosecution against UBERMORGEN.COM, and the media
hysteria it produced, are an integral part of the whole project.
During this mass-media-performance, UBERMORGEN.COM were interviewed
up to 30 times per day. CNN produced a 30 minutes show on the project
in their legal format Burden of Proof. In this feature,
UBERMORGEN.COM never comment on whether the project was a real threat
to the integrity of the U.S. election or wheter it was a political
satire.

In the mass media storm, the digital actionist works with her whole
body, as well as part and victim of the network around her. “We are
children of the 1980s, We are the first internet-pop-generation...
Hans Bernhard is loaded with 10 years of internet & tech [digital
cocaine], mass media hacking, underground techno, hardcore [illegal]
drugs, rock&roll lifestyle and net.art jet set...” Hans Bernhard`s
neuronal networks are connected to the global network, and his mental
illness – the bipolar affective disorder that in March 2002 sent him
to a mental hospital – is the network's illness. The video called
Psych|OS (2005)** sums up that experience, in which those two levels
– digital and real, bio & tech, nervous system and operative system –
merge.

This nervous system, infected by the hi-tech, needs a treatment, and
the hi-tech society prescribes its remedies, “bio-chemical 'agents'
which control the internal information flow”. Olanzapine, an
antipsychotic drug produced by the pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly
as Zyprexa®, is one of these agents. In the digital prints** Zyprexa
“Lilly 1112” and Zyprexa “Lilly 4117” (2006), UBERMORGE.COM paints
the drug molecular structure, but during this translation process the
molecule discovers to be made by bits. “Just pixels on a screen, just
ink on paper”, like Foriginals (forged originals), the conceptual
device UBERMORGEN.COM uses to change legal documents into legal art.

The title of the show – a declaration of poetics that seems to be a
declaration of love – derives from this process. “Lilly controls my
Foriginals” means “Lilly controls my artistic work”, where Lilly just
seems to be a woman’s name, is in fact the name of a pharmaceutical
company. Lilly “controls”, inspires as well as oversees, supervises
the contact between my brain and my hard drive.

UBERMORGEN.COM’s focus on “the pixel as the molecule” and technology
as a hidden demon relates to the technology industries newest gadgets
-- RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) chips are one of the leading
technologies of the future: an identification system that can collect
diverse information about the products it is attached to as well as
the person that has made purchase of the product. From a formal point
of view, RFID chips reveal an organic structure, surprisingly similar
to a cellular structure. With the ART FID (2005) series**,
UBERMORGEN.COM uses the visual impact of a suprematist painting, and
tells us about this mix between biotechnologies and digital
technologies, this neverending overlapping of two contiguous levels
that is shaping our identity.

fabioparisartgallery
via Alessandro Monti 13 - 25121 Brescia
tel. 030 3756139 - skype: fabioparisbs