[spectre] Turbulence Spotlight: "No Animals Were Hurt" by Peter Brinson

Turbulence turbulence at turbulence.org
Fri Jan 13 16:01:21 CET 2006

January 13, 2006
Turbulence Spotlight: "No Animals Were Hurt" by Peter Brinson
http://turbulence.org/spotlight/brinson/index.htm
Needs Flash Player

"No Animals Were Hurt" is a short film about Alan Turing. The more views the
film receives, the closer it gets to telling his story.

The picture plays too quickly while the sound plays at normal speed, but
with each visitor the picture slows. After enough visitors, the sound and
picture will play at equal speeds, allowing the story to finish.

It is indeed short, but it gets longer with every 50 unique visitors. It'll
reach its full length upon receiving nearly 5000 unique views.

Whether it is at the movie theater or at home, we make decisions when we see
a film. We decide to go, and we decide whether or not we recommend it to
others. "No Animals Were Hurt" plays on these choices in order to highlight
the relative imbalance of which facts are and are not well known about
Turing. He is the father of modern computing, an accomplishment that's
impact on culture has few rivals. But even many of his biggest fans do not
know how and why he died. So if you want to see the end, tell a friend.

BIOGRAPHY

Peter Brinson is a filmmaker, game developer, and educator living in Los
Angeles. His work considers the narrative possibilities found in animal
protagonists, bot behavior, emergent systems, and game-play. His films,
internet technologies, and computer games have shown at home and abroad.
Brinson attended the University of North Carolina and the California
Institute of the Arts, and currently teaches at the University of Southern
California and the University of California at San Diego.

For more information about Turbulence Spotlights, please visit
http://turbulence.org/spotlight

Jo-Anne Green, Co-Director
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.: http://new-radio.org
New York: 917.548.7780 . Boston: 617.522.3856
Turbulence: http://turbulence.org
New American Radio: http://somewhere.org
Networked_Performance Blog: http://turbulence.org/blog
Upgrade! Boston: http://turbulence.org/upgrade