[spectre] 2 things from/for Lebanon, 1 from eflux, 1 from Zena

Jayce Salloum salloum at rrrr.net
Thu Jul 20 09:21:56 CEST 2006

Zena el-Khalil
see: http://beirutupdate.blogspot.com/

--
07/19/06, from Ashkal Alwan
Dear friends, we are forwarding this request for help for refugees in
Lebanon on behalf of Ashkal Alwan, an organization we highly respect which
organizes some of the most important contemporary art events in the Middle
East. We ourselves are making a financial contribution and strongly urge you
to also do so, if possible, as it is really a critical situation.
e-flux

URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT
Al Huda Society for Social Care is a civic non profit organization based and
active in Beirut. The Society was established in 1987 during the Lebanese
civil war. It has been active in providing social care for underprivileged
families in Beirut, responding to the needs of each era. Its activities
included launching a sponsorship program for children, who were orphaned
during the 1975-1990 war; providing a day care services center for children;
organizing summer camps for children of the occupied zone in South Lebanon
(before 2000); providing assistance and relief for internally displaced
families during the Israeli attack on Lebanon in April 2006; and
establishing Nasma Learning and Resource Centre for students in public
schools in the Ras Beirut area.

In light of the Israeli attack on Lebanon at this time, thousands of
families have fled the most afflicted areas to become refugees in other
parts of their country, including Beirut. Al-Huda Society has redirected its
resources to cater to the needs of as many families as possible. Currently
it is responsible for the welfare of around 200 displaced families in the
Ras Beirut area. It is distributing daily rations to each family with the
cost of each ration being 15 USD. The Society aspires to increase the number
of families in its care, as the number of families fleeing the Israeli
bombardment is continuously increasing. The essential condition for
achieving this goal is increasing resources, namely financial.
In this respect all assistance is a need.

Please send your donations to:
Account Name: Al Houda Society
Account No. 02 43020 047465
Bank: Bankmed