[spectre] art and science......

hight at 34n118w.net hight at 34n118w.net
Mon Mar 13 09:19:56 CET 2006

not sure what you mean.......
I don't see it in values.....

I just see the processes............the
curiosity.......exploration..............result................art and
science to me in that context set  are similar.........america has long
bemoaned a shortage of students studying the sciences and it apparently is
worse now.............when I was younger it was taught as quite dry and we
never got any mention of the creative, explorative, more individual
result..........

I had to have a huge epiphany hit me when I was a year away from my
undergrad writing degree

having a beer with a writer in a bar in san francisco  when I realized
that my uncle years before was right and what he meant when I told him
writing was far superior to mathematics in terms of creativity,
individulaity and singular result...

he went off about how as a kid did I write on big lined paper....did I
learn vocab etc...

what he meant was that in the traditional educational system to that point
I had only learned math and science as base tools.............

I work primarily with new media and locative media work that operates in
art but also in an interaction of technology, art and science......

in my opinion and life experience it was quite painful how so many people
saw the path of me choosing art and writing as all the pop culture short
hand semiotics of no money, likely to never make it,  on the fringe, non
productive member of society etc.......

while they were beaming at the thought of me being little science
boy..............sure to make money and have a job they could drop at
parties like the family house was that much shinier ....

It isn't just that science is not given the credit (generality a bit here)
  but also that the arts in america are so seen as a fringe............I
wonder if it has connections to the whole frontier spirit........streets
of gold cliches of america as the place you come to with nothing and build
yourself up...........also a relatively young country.........appreciation
of the arts is vastly different in so many other parts of the world

so  "values"   is a tough one to answer.......

is art communication?  is it awareness raising?  is it individual voice to
be interpreted as best by the rest of the world.....?  these are the base
questions in a college art class.......

in terms of philosophy.................my interests and actions I see as
being akin to a kid in  a sand box...........I get
curious......play.................and get an end result.........

it just is with narratives edited by the intensity readings of hourly
earthquake data, or by movements in a city with a laptop triggering
history of place, its voice in a sense by gps........

I know that a segment of scientists are motivated by greed, by
corporations looking for research to back their bad products........ego..

but also of artists that claw to get ahead........falsify theory behind
projects they threw together as pure play or panicked
compromise..........artists that create false mythologies of identity to
sell themselves.....

so value in these fields in general is subjective....

I simply see it in terms of process and the joy of
it......,,,,,naive........in a certain way probably.......but the same
urge drives me to write and make art that drives me to check the weather
around the world .......wonder and excitement......simply and boring as
that

bur what are the values your interests and actions represent