[spectre] CFC_ [ctrl][alt] 2007 _montreal

tobias c. van Veen tobias at techno.ca
Mon May 22 23:31:53 CEST 2006

+++++++++++++++++
Call for Contributions
+++++++++++++++++

=======
[ctrl] [alt]
=======
alternatives,
    encounters,
        movements

May 3-6, 2007
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
[ http://www.ctrlconference.org ]

+ submission due date: September, 18 2006.
+ please see below for SUBMISSIONS information.

-----------------------
[ctrl] [alt]: 2007
-----------------------
 In the Fall of 2004, 90 activists, artists and academics from diverse
disciplines gathered at McGill University in Montréal, Canada to explore
the threat of a global society moving into networks of mechanisms of
control.  From RFID chips to the cult of beauty, from the Patriot Act to
Canadian multicultural policy, from the War on Drugs to the War on Terror,
conference participants explored the pressing realities of social,
political, economic and institutional modes of control and the urgent
significance of constructing an actional politics to (en)counter them.

The challenge of theorizing and developing new forms of resistance will be
taken up in [ctrl] [alt]: alternatives, encounters, movements.  As the
conference¹s subtitle indicates, [ctrl] [alt] will address potential
strategies and tactics for confronting these mechanisms of control. Working
from the notion that control is often best (en)countered via practices that
engage  experimental methods, transdisciplinarity and creativity, we hope to
foster an environment in which we can construct collective visions for
social change.

Academia often regards itself as an end in itself, apart from concrete
social struggles. Even when progressive academics engage the social world
theoretically, they often do not acknowledge an indebtedness to, and impact
upon, political struggles. At the same time, anti-intellectualism often
circulates within activist groups. And art often becomes a fashionable and
institutionalized product, failing to actualize its radical potential.

Given this mess, we seek imaginative works that cross borders between genres
and disciplines including the highly political boundaries between art
practice, academia and activism. We are particularly interested in papers,
panels, roundtables, workshops, interventions, performances and artworks
that incorporate critical, anti-oppressive perspectives.  We invite
contributions by artists, activists, scholars and writers as well as any
others working in non-traditional spaces of knowledge production.

Possible themes to address include, but are not limited to:

----------------------------
Alternatives to [CTRL]
----------------------------
non-capitalist economic practices
critical pedagogies/pedagogies of the
oppressed
sub, post-sub and counter cultures
sex/gender radicalism
queering culture and cultural space
reclaiming/creating public and community
space
radical citizenship
Anti-copyright, Copyleft and Creative
Commons practices
alternative, radical, autonomous, tactical, and
citizens¹ medias
anticorporate cultural production
----------------------------
Encountering [CTRL]
----------------------------
art as activism/activism as art
writing resistance/resistant writing
mapping resistance/resistant mapping
cosmopolitics
decolonialization and postcoloniality
negotiating governmentality and bureaucracy
----------------------------
Movements against [CTRL]
----------------------------
immigrant, refugee and migrant worker
movements
affinity politics and coalition building
post/modern protests
transnational feminisms
radical queer movements
unions and organized labour
chaos, ontological anarchy and Temporary
Autonomous Zones
 theatre in the street
 the media democracy movement
net.criticism, hacktivism, hacker media
diasporic communities
global social justice movements
indigenous movements
anticapitalism and anti-imperialism
co-op movements
squatter movements
artisinal movements, D.I.Y. and crafting
culture
artist-run movements
dis/ability movements
anti-poverty movements
antiracist movements
anti-oppression training

Please send submissions by September, 18 2006.

_SUBMISSIONS_

For individual papers, workshops or roundtables send abstracts of 250 words
max. in .rtf format to :    submissions at ctrlconference.org  .

Workshops are interactive and instructive sessions led by individual or
group (1-2 hours). Roundtables are facilitated group discussion around a
specific theme or question (1-2 hours).

For panels, send abstracts of 600 words max. which includes both panel
rationale and individual paper abstracts in .rtf format to:
    submissions at ctrlconference.org

Panels are collections of individual papers around the same theme or issue
(1-2 hours).

For art projects & performances, send an artists statement (250 words max)
and a description of the proposed project (250 words max) including
materials needed in [.rtf] format to:
    horea at ctrlconference.org.

If images or documentation of the project are available, please
contact Horea to make arrangements.

Interventions: Show up!

Please address general inquiries to:
    ctrlalt at ctrlconference.org

++++++++++++++++
[CTRL] [alt] 2007
http://ctrlconference.org
.ministry.of.propaganda.
----------------------------

                     ****************
              *******                *****
           ***                            **
       ****                                 ***
     **             ******                     *
   **          ******     ***                   **
 *    |WE ARE WATCHING YOU : 2007 :::::|            *
      |-- [ http://ctrlconference.org ]|             *