[spectre] British Council quits Europe to woo Muslim world

Andreas Broeckmann ab at tesla-berlin.de
Tue Aug 7 18:48:35 CEST 2007

Outcry as British Council quits Europe to woo Muslim world

Helena Smith, Athens
Sunday August 5, 2007
<http://www.observer.co.uk/>The Observer

It was the first visible sign of a cultural
earthquake. Last week 8,000 books - the entire
literary heritage of the British Council in
Greece - were carted off to the English
department of Athens University. Many of them are
works by British hellenists, including poets such
as Byron, or celebrate those who forged the bond
between Britain and Greece.

It is not just in Athens that the British Council
is winding down. Across Europe, half a century of
promoting British culture and values is slowly
being wound down in favour of a huge increase in
funding for activities in the Middle East and
Muslim world.

It is a switch that has been greeted with horror
by writers who had successfully campaigned to
prevent the closure of the council's Athenian
Library in 1997. That high-profile campaign
prevented the council's European libraries being
replaced with computerised 'informational
centres' across the continent. But this time the
British Council has been in no mood to back down
- 2007 is not 1997, it says, despite mounting
criticism over policies that have come to be seen
as smacking of cultural imperialism and a
catastrophic waste of UK taxpayers' money.

Instead, funding of EU countries is being reduced
by £20 million - a tenth of the body's total
government grant - which is being reallocated to
the Middle East as the council attempts to bridge
the 'widening gap of trust' between the UK and
Muslim states.

Iraq, Afghanistan and Bangladesh are among 'high
priority' regions that will also receive a 50 per
cent boost in support for projects to steer
Muslims away from extremism. And as the council's
physical presence in Europe is cut back, public
access buildings, some recently renovated at
spectacular cost, will close.

'You cannot succeed unless you enter into risky
areas and are prepared to deal with them,' Cathy
Stephens, acting director of British Council
operations, told The Observer. 'We are in
transformational mood,' she said, acknowledging
that, while security is an issue, the ultimate
aim is to win over the hearts and minds of men
and women in predominantly young populations
across the Arab world.

'We will, of course, tailor our programmes ...
and if it is felt we are doing something wrong in
those countries, we will listen.'

Given the threat of terrorism, the British
Council believes the overhaul is overdue. The new
strategy will not only prove beneficial to
Britain's long-term security and prosperity but
perfectly upholds the council's mission of
'increasing appreciation of the UK's ideas and
achievements overseas'.

'We want more impact, better results and
interaction,' says Stephens. 'Books and buildings
are inert resources that [entail] fixed costs and
a lot of maintaining and staffing. And the
internet has enabled much better access to books.'

But not all are convinced. Authors who have long
viewed the council as a conduit to wider
audiences in Europe, are appalled.

'This whole policy is misconstrued from top to
bottom,' complains Charles Arnold-Baker, author
of The Companion to British History. 'We are
going somewhere where we can't succeed and
neglecting our friends in Europe who wish us
well. The only people who are going to read our
books in Beirut or Baghdad are converts already.'

Failure to endear hostile Arab populations will
be exacerbated, opponents claim, not only by the
logistics of maintaining branches in danger zones
but by the success the policy will have in
cutting off the next generation of Anglophiles in
Europe. The Institut Français and Goethe-Institut
are both expanding and replenishing libraries
Europe-wide.

Speaking from her home in Dorset, Fay Weldon, a
vociferous supporter of the earlier campaign to
prevent the closure of the council's libraries,
and an author who has long toured with the
council, argues that women fiction writers will
be especially hard hit because they will not be
read in those closed patriarchal societies with
tiny educated elites. 'I hope the Islamic world
is grateful,' she adds. 'I doubt that it will be.'

'What do they hope to do? Win hearts and minds by
sending in rappers to Saudi Arabia and the Middle
East?' she asked. 'We're trying to impose our
culture and values on the culture of countries
that don't share them, in the extraordinary
conviction that we are right.

'All of this feels like somebody's bright idea
that has not been properly thought out,' says
Weldon. 'The British Council should examine its
own motives, attitudes and indeed cultural
imperialism, because what they are doing is
totally short-sighted.'