[spectre] I-TASC in POITIERS (FR) / 30 march 2007

Ewen Chardronnet ewen at no-log.org
Tue Mar 27 16:22:24 CEST 2007

I-TASC FOR THE INTERNATIONAL POLAR YEAR

Friday March 30, 2007 : I-TASC settles for two years at Espace
Mendes-France, Poitiers, France

I-TASC (Interpolar Transnational Art Science Constellation) is an
official project of the International Polar Year 2007-2008. I-TASC is a
decentralized network of individuals and organisations working
collaboratively in the fields of art, engineering, science and
technology on interdisciplinary development and tactical deployment of
renewable energy, waste recycling systems, sustainable architecture and
open-format, open-source media. I-TASC is a lichen-like structure
sharing and integrating local knowledge, resources and skills across six
continents in order to symbiotically engage with common issues
concerning the air, ocean, earth and space.

The science centre Espace Mendes-France and Ellipse join the I-TASC
project to organize a series of events during the 2007-2008
International Polar Year. An I-TASC terminal will be installed in the
Espace Mendes-France for the duration of IPY. It will provide
information in real time on the activities of the I-TASC project and
display environmental data collected by the Automatic Weather station
deployed, by I-TASC since winter 2007, near the South-African base of
SANAE in the Dronning Maud Land region of the Antarctic.

FRIDAY MARCH 30, 2007 : OPENING DAY

17h: presentation of the I-TASC initiative
Marko Peljhan (Slovenia), artist and initiator of the project
Stephen Kovats (Canada), associate member and artistic director of
Berlin Transmediale Festival
Ewen Chardronnet (France), associate and member of Ellipse

18h30: inauguration of terminal I-TASC
drinks and buffet

21h: “Signal Territory” performance by Mx&Nullo (rx:tx, Slovenia)
In the Planetarium of the EMF
http://www.rx-tx.org

Free entrance.

Access: Espace Mendes-France, 1 Place de la Cathédrale, 86000 Poitiers,
France
Contact: ewen at e-ngo.org

I-TASC in the Espace Mendès-France of Poitiers is a co-production of
Ellipse (Tours, Fr), Projekt Atol (Slovenia) and the EMF of Poitiers,
France.
The project is supported by EU Culture 2000 program.

http://www.i-tasc.org
http://www.ipy.org
http://e-ngo.org
http://www.maison-des-sciences.org

----

What is I-TASC’s first project?

Acknowledging that Antarctica and the Arctic are critical departure
points in developing a complex understanding of common ground, I-TASC
has proposed to establish in the Arctic and Antarctica the framework
conditions for collaborative projects between artists, scientists,
tactical media workers and engineers within three broad topical fields:
migration, weather and communications. This is envisaged through the
installation and maintenance of two mobile research stations in the
Arctic and Antarctica between 2007-2009 and the construction and
launching of a nano-satellite in a high sun-synchronous elliptical polar
orbit to enable research and contact between the two stations and the
sharing of sensor data with other IPY projects. The I-TASC stations in
the Arctic and Antarctica will be solar/wind powered, zero-environmental
impact communications, research and living units capable of sustaining
up to 8 crew members for long periods of work in isolation/insulation
conditions (60-180 days). Onboard renewable-energy systems,
bioreactor/biological sewage processing, water recycling systems,
satellite and HF communication systems and radar infrastructure will
provide I-TASC crews with the tools/resources needed to conduct joint or
independent work in remote polar field-research environments. The I-TASC
base station for Antarctica has been given the name LADOMIR. It is named
for the utopian poem of the same name written in 1920 by the Russian
Futurist Velimir Khlebnikov, which describes the universal landscape of
the future through the destruction of the old world and its synthesis in
the new. The word is a combination of LAD, meaning both “harmony” and
“living creature,” and MIR, both “peace” and “world, universe.” Adopting
the related constructivist notion of FAKTURA, which can be understood as
the conferring of tactile and sensorial qualities onto abstract
elements, LADOMIR will be dedicated to producing readable/tangible
surfaces which the public will be able to use to reflect on vague or
otherwise invisible systems and environmental data from Antarctica and
the Arctic. Communication, weather and migration are seen as three
multiple-dynamic global energy systems which can be explored to
understand how our planet functions on natural, social and technological
levels, and the knowledge inherent in each can in turn be applied as
primary sources for new cognitive and evolutionary strategies, with
implications for global ecology and future human exploration of space.

The first I-TASC Reconnaissance and Communication Expedition (RECE) to
Antarctica from Dec 2006-Feb 2007 was codenamed: GROUNDHOG. The
objective of GROUNDHOG (translated from the Norwegian word Grunehogna)
was to construct and deploy our first Automatic Weather Station, Remote
Sensor and Packet Radio Unit in support of I-TASC’s future operations in
Antarctica from 2007 onwards. The expedition crew installed the solar
and wind powered unit at 71° 40.433' S 02° 48.700' W in order to
autonomously transmit daily environmental data via HF packet radio to
SANAE IV base and from there to the I-TASC partner websites and IPY
public via the internet. The site has been identified as the location
for the installation and testing of the prototype I-TASC LICHEN mobile
base station module in the 2007/2008 Antarctic summer season. The LICHEN
module will test systems and train crew ahead of the installation of the
I-TASC LADOMIR mobile base station at Grunehogna between Dec 2008 -
March 2009 which will host artists, scientists and engineers conducting
research and collaborative work in the Dronning Maud Land sector of
Antarctica during the International Polar Year.

The first I-TASC expedition crew to Antarctica consisted of Amanda
Rodrigues Alves (Brazil); Adam Hyde (New Zealand); Thomas Mulcaire
(South Africa – expedition leader); Ntsikelelo Ntshingila (South
Africa/Swaziland). The crew departed Cape Town harbour for Antarctica on
7 December on board the South African National Antarctic Program supply
ship SA Agulhas and spent 42 days at SANAE base and on field
reconnaissance expeditions in Dronnig Maud Land.

----