[spectre] DANUBE TELELECTURE from the MUMOK, Vienna : Myths of Immateriality

Oliver Grau oliver.grau at donau-uni.ac.at
Thu May 3 17:21:18 CEST 2007

=> “Myths of Immateriality: Curating, Collecting and Archiving Media Art” <=

DANUBE TELELECTURE from the MUMOK, Vienna : Myths of Immateriality

The Department for Image Science at Danube-University Krems created a new format of international lecture and debates on key questions of Image Science and Media Art with high-calibre experts - the DANUBE TELELECTURES. The discussion will be recorded by several cameras and transmitted live over the www. Online viewers can participate live in the discussion via email.

TELELECTURE # 3
“Myths of Immateriality: Curating, Collection and Archiving Media Art”

During the last decades media art has grown to be the art of our time, though it has hardly arrived in our cultural institutions. The mainstream of art history has neglected developing adequate research tools for these contemporary art works, they are exhibited infrequently in museums, and there are few collectors. Media art is hardly being archived and systematically preserved like ancient and traditional forms of art. This loss of data our society is facing because of the change in storage media and operational systems threatens to result in a total loss of our contemporary digital art. Which practices and strategies in the curating and documenting of media art do experts in the field suggest?

*** CHRISTIANE PAUL, curator for New Media, Whitney Museum, NY, author of "Digital Art" (Thames & Hudson 2003)
*** PAUL SERMON, media artist and scientist at the University of Salford, UK http://creativetechnology.salford.ac.uk/paulsermon/cv.html

*(Introduction:  Oliver Grau, Univ.-Prof. and Head of the Department for Image Science, Danube University Krems)

Danube TeleLecture # 3  at the MUMOK, MuseumsQuartier, Vienna
Time: Sun, 27. May 2007, 17.00h CET (Start of Streaming)

+ You can attend the event in MUMOK or in realtime over the www +
http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/dis

After 20 minute long lectures the audience will have the possibility to ask the speakers questions. Internet users may join the discussion via e-mail.

Contact: Mag. Jeanna Nikolov-Ramírez Gaviria
Tel: +43 (0)2732 893-2570
E-Mail: jeanna.nikolov at donau-uni.ac.at
http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/dis

PARTNERS