[spectre] Piksel07 :: OPEN WORKSHOPS

220hex gif at 220hex.org
Tue Oct 30 21:36:01 CET 2007

Piksel 07 Workshops
Teknikerkroen, Bergen, Norway
15 - 18 November
11:00 -15:00

Creative Coding, Hard- & Software workshops at Piksel 07.
All workshops are free to attend, but with a limited number of seats.
To participate, please send a mail to: piksel07 at bek.no
http://www.piksel.no/piksel07

Thursday november 15th

CATkit :: build your own 1-bit synth from scratch (day1)
by Tom Schouten, Marloes de Valk and Aymeric Mansoux

This is the latest evolution of what was drafted a year ago and shown at
piksel06. We have designed a PCB, selected some components, and designed a
complete standalone 1-bit synth that can be programmed interactively via a
computer running GNU/Linux, connected to the kit using a TTL-232R cable.
* A laptop with GNU/Linux and MzScheme installed, or a PC laptop if you want
to use pure:dyne. The laptop needs to have a free USB port.
* 250 NOK / 30 EUR to take home the board (not including TTL-232R cable)
  http://www.piksel.no/pwiki/CATkit

Friday november 16th

CATkit :: build your own 1-bit synth from scratch (day2)
by Tom Schouten, Marloes de Valk and Aymeric Mansoux

In the two day workshop we will do the following
 * solder the components to the CATkit board
 * get familiar with some basic Purrr (Forth) commands
 * incrementally create a custum 1-bit synth controller Purrr program
At the end of the workshop, the development cable is disconnected, and you go
home with a little battery operated toy synth.
Please note that the focus of the workshop is on programming, not electronics.
However, the Purrr language is very easy to learn, despite it being quite
lowlevel. A little bit of programming experience might help though. The Purrr
programming toolchain is based on MzScheme, and we urge you to install it
before the workshop starts, or use the pure:dyne distribution provided.
  http://www.piksel.no/pwiki/CATkit
  http://purrr.goto10.org/
  http://catkit.goto10.org/

Building tangible interfaces with Reactivision
by Martin Kaltenbrunner and Ross Bencina

ReacTIVision is an open source, cross-platform computer vision framework for
the fast and robust tracking of fiducial markers attached onto physical
objects, as well as for multi-touch finger tracking. It was mainly designed
as a toolkit for the rapid development of table-based tangible user
interfaces (TUI) and multi-touch interactive surfaces.
ReacTIVision is a standalone application, which communicates via the Open
Sound Control based TUIO protocol, which was specially designed for
transmitting the state of tangible objects and multi-touch control on a table
surface. The framework includes a set of free example client projects for
various programming environments, such as Processing, Pure Data,
SuperCollider, Java, C# and C++, which serve as the basis for the easy
development of tangible user interface applications.
This framework has been developed at the Music Technology Group at the
Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, Spain as part of the the reacTable
project, a novel electronic music instrument with a tangible user interface,
which recently made the headlines for being selected by Icelandic singer
Björk as a key instrument of her Volta world tour.
Since its publication as open-source software, reacTIVision has been adopted
by many researchers and artists for the creation of their own interactive
table installations and instruments.
  http://reactivision.sourceforge.net/

Saturday november 17th

Open video editing
by Richard Spindler

This workshop is centered around the Open Movie Editor
(http://openmovieeditor.sourceforge.net/), and will go through a complete
movie making workflow, from recording and grabbing media, to editing, and
distribution through DVD and Internet.
What to bring:
1. A laptop with the GNU/Linux Operating System installed. Additional
Software: Open Movie Editor, dvgrab, dvdstyler, ffmpeg, etc.
2. Optional: Camcorder, DigiCam with Movie Mode, Other kinds of Cameras
  http://www.piksel.no/pwiki/OpenVideoEditing

Sunday november 18th

TOB - Transmitting Object Behaviors
by Jo frgmnt Grys and Seamus O'Donnell

Experimental setup: Mini FM of transmitters and radioreceivers are positioned
in a space, so that varied relations arise between the broadcasting and
reception devices. Different distances of the apparatuses to each other
generate interference between transmitters and receivers. The Transmitters
are fed with sound material coming from selfmade complex chaotic oscillators
as well as from available radioprograms on air.
In a soldering workshop and/or presentation i would like to show how easy
these circuits are built from basic digital chips, now crossing the border
from predictable to chaotic pattern production.
  http://tob.de.vu

Arduino + PureData = VJ !
by Marcos Yarza and Carlos López

Arduino, the preferred open-source physical computing platform that is
revolutionizing the interactive arts, and PureData, the preferred open-source
visual programming software, meets up to create an amazing set of tools for
VJ's. Pure Data (PD) is a real-time graphical programming environment for
audio, video, and graphical processing. It is one of the most flexible tools
available for creators working with real-time media. PD runs on Linux, OSX
and Windows.This presentation/workshop introduces participants in hardware
creation, and visual programming software as PD to run visual live acts as vj
or video artist do...
The aim of the workshop is to learn how to create your own physical interface
to manipulate videos in real time using PD
   http://www.piksel.no/pwiki/ArduinoPureDataVJ

Piksel07 - 15.-18. nov 2007
www.piksel.no/piksel07