[spectre] Sound art work 'Labyrinthitis' by Jacob Kirkegaard, Copenhagen 2 Sept

Roberto Winter rhwinter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 19:23:14 CEST 2007

Hi there,

Not that much related, but Freeman Dyson wrote about the inner ear's
resonances here:
http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge219.html#dysonf

"Two years ago, I was at Cornell University celebrating the life of
Tommy Gold, a famous astronomer who died at a ripe old age. He was
famous as a heretic, promoting unpopular ideas that usually turned out
to be right. Long ago I was a guinea-pig in Tommy's experiments on
human hearing. He had a heretical idea that the human ear
discriminates pitch by means of a set of tuned resonators with active
electromechanical feedback. He published a paper explaining how the
ear must work, [Gold, 1948]. He described how the vibrations of the
inner ear must be converted into electrical signals which feed back
into the mechanical motion, reinforcing the vibrations and increasing
the sharpness of the resonance. The experts in auditory physiology
ignored his work because he did not have a degree in physiology. Many
years later, the experts discovered the two kinds of hair-cells in the
inner ear that actually do the feedback as Tommy had predicted, one
kind of hair-cell acting as electrical sensors and the other kind
acting as mechanical drivers. It took the experts forty years to admit
that he was right. Of course, I knew that he was right, because I had
helped him do the experiments."

It is an interesting read...
Cheers