[spectre] Upgrade! Boston: Daniel C. Howe + Aya Karpinska

Turbulence turbulence at turbulence.org
Sat Sep 15 18:30:05 CEST 2007

< Daniel C. Howe + Aya Karpinska >
<< Call for Video Sharing Entries >>
<<< Up Next >>>

< Daniel C. Howe + Aya Karpinska >
Digital Language: Poetry Beyond the Printed Page
Moderated by Nick Montfort
http://turbulence.org/upgrade/archives/09_20_07DHandAK.htm

DATE: September 20, 2007
TIME: 7:00-9:00 pm
VENUE: North 181, Massachusetts College of Art, 621 Huntington Avenue,
Boston.
[Ask the security guard at the main desk in the Tower Building how to get
there] [Green Line "E"]

Immersed as we are in digital media, we often overlook the centrality of
written language in our experience of the world -- not only as the 'content'
of digital media, but also in the processes that facilitate it. In digital
literature, the written language of code generally operates on several
interconnected levels. Though we tend to focus on its role as a container
for displayed 'literary' content, code also exists as a static and legible
'text', in addition to its active function as instructions for the computer.
Which of these levels is most relevant to our aesthetic experience of
digital literature? Can we 'understand' any one level without exploring the
others? With these questions in mind, we will present examples from recent
work that leverages computational techniques to explore new possibilities in
digital literature; from procedural recombinations, to dynamic physical
interfaces, to three-dimensional environments for literary experimentation.
About the Speakers :
http://turbulence.org/upgrade/archives/09_20_07DHandAK.htm

<< Call for Video Sharing Works >>
http://turbulence.org/upgrade/archives/VideoSharing_call.htm

Upgrade! Boston is now accepting submissions for "Video Sharing Boston." We
are interested in short experimental fragments, castoffs, and/or remixes;
provocative, contemporary ideas; and works that challenge preconceptions and
generate dialogue. Boston area artists only. Extended Deadline: September
30, 2007

<<< Up Next >>>

Azra Akšamija - October 18, 2007
http://turbulence.org/upgrade/archives/10_18_07AA.html

<<<< About Upgrade Boston >>>>

Upgrade! Boston (http://turbulence.org/upgrade) is curated by Jo-Anne Green
for Turbulence.org in partnership with the Studio for Interrelated Media at
Massachusetts College of Art. It is one of 27 nodes currently active in
Upgrade! International, an emerging network of autonomous nodes united by
art, technology, and a commitment to bridging cultural divides. If you would
like to present your work or get involved, please email jo at turbulence dot
org.

If you no longer wish to receive these notices, please reply to this email
with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.

Jo-Anne Green, Co-Director
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.: http://new-radio.org
New York: 917.548.7780 . Boston: 617.522.3856
Turbulence: http://turbulence.org
Networked_Performance Blog: http://turbulence.org/blog
Networked_Music_Review: http://turbulence.org/networked_music_review
Upgrade! Boston: http://turbulence.org/upgrade