[spectre] Info-Aesthetics: Information and Form / Lev Manovich at the LSE

Jose-Carlos Mariategui jcm at ata.org.pe
Tue Apr 15 16:48:10 CEST 2008

Info-Aesthetics: Information and Form
Lev Manovich
University of California, San Diego

Tuesday 22 April, 2008
3.00 - 5.00 p.m.

Studio Ciborra
Fifth Floor, Tower One

The unprecedented growth of information puts new pressures on
contemporary societies. We need to invent new ways to interact with
information, new ways to represent it, and new ways to make sense of
it. How are artists, designers, and architects are responding to these
challenges? Rather than trying to defend ourselves against
"information glut," can we approach this situation creatively as the
opportunity to invent new forms appropriate for our information-rich
world?

Since 2000, Lev Manovich has investigated these questions in a project
called Info-Aesthetics. The concept of info-aesthetcis allows us to
relate together a wide range of cultural phenomena, including some of
the most interesting projects in a variety of areas of contemporary
culture: cinema, architecture, space design, fashion, interface
design, motion graphics, visual art, computer science, and, of course,
information visualization. In his presentation Lev Manovich will
report on his latest findings, showing some of the most exciting
projects produced to date.

Dr Lev Manovich is a Professor in the Visual Arts Department,
University of California San Diego. He is also Director of the
Software Studies Initiative at the California Institute for
Telecommunications and Information Technology and a Visiting Research
Professor at the iCinema Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney
and at the Centre for Cultural Studies, Goldsmith College, London.
This presentation is a part of Professor Manovich's forthcoming book
Info-aesthetics: Information and Form.

Please note places will be available on a first-come-first-serve basis
- registration is not required.

For any further queries regarding this seminar or to request
information about future events please contact Frances White, Research
Coordinator (F.White at lse.ac.uk)

For more info:  http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/informationSystems/newsAndEvents/2008events/Manovich.htm