[spectre] Subversive in China - Mainstream in Adelaide Press Release

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sun Aug 24 13:54:02 CEST 2008

Hi jaromil,

Yes, this is all rather troubling. Although, correct me if I am wrong -
didn't Eyebeam write a statement in support for James when all this
stuff kicked off?

 >   James is  proud to have been  kicked out of the  Synthetic Times new
 >   media  art exhibition  in  Beijing because  he  wouldn't censor  his
 >   little art  project. James wonders why organizations  like the MoMA,
 >   Parsons, Eyebeam,  Ars Electronica and many other  arts and cultural
 >   institutions around the  world who claim to support  free speech and
 >   expression would participate in a  show like this.  But they did!

It would be interesting to know why such organisations thought it a good
idea to be a part of this the show. The Olympics is such a slack,
hegemonic and over-culturalized form of eugenic indoctrination,
worldwide. One would of thought that it would of been an obvious arena
for organisations to support more critical viewpoints anyway. Perhaps,
what we are witnessing is a shift from supposed 'critical' 'intelligent'
media art organisations, becoming more traditional in their approaches
and outlooks, such as is the norm in fine art fields. So much lip
service and not enough real challenge. Where are the socially informed
risks here?

marc
furtherfield.org