[spectre] Turbulence Commission: "Recollecting Adams" by Marianne R. Petit

Turbulence turbulence at turbulence.org
Tue Dec 9 21:02:12 CET 2008

Turbulence Commission: "Recollecting Adams" by Marianne R. Petit
http://turbulence.org/works/recollecting/

"Recollecting Adams" is a 25-part web-based animation series that will
conclude in December 2009. A new episode will launch every two weeks.

The people of Adams, Massachusetts are gifted storytellers. We learned that
in our first few weeks here. When they enter the gallery, they tell us about
how they bought gloves when the storefront was Pociask's Dress Shop, or how
they took guitar and accordion lessons when it was La Flemme's Music Store.
And this is just inside the building. When we're standing outside, we hear
tales of Summer Street and the town. People in Adams really know its history
and love sharing it. They weave their personal family stories into a rich
history of immigration, the mills, the Church and more, across several
generations. - Marianne Petit

"Recollecting Adams" is a 2008 commission of New Radio and Performing Arts,
Inc., (aka Ether-Ore) for its Turbulence web site. It was made possible with
funding from the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts.

"Recollecting Adams" is part of "Networked Realities: (Re)Connecting the
Adamses" -- a collaboration between Greylock Arts, Turbulence.org and MCLA
Gallery51-- which includes four commissioned works housed in the Department
of Public Works at www.newadams.es.

BIOGRAPHY

Marianne R. Petit is an Associate Arts Professor at New York University's
Interactive Telecommunications Program where she teaches courses in digital
media, animation and storytelling, in addition to overseeing the assistive
technology and social justice curriculum. She is the co-director of Greylock
Arts, a non-commercial arts space located in the Northern Berkshires,
dedicated to the intersection between art and technology. Her artwork has
appeared internationally in festivals and exhibitions as well as broadcast
on the Independent Film Channel.

Jo-Anne Green, Co-Director
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.: http://new-radio.org
New York: 917.548.7780 . Boston: 617.522.3856
Turbulence: http://turbulence.org
Networked_Performance Blog: http://turbulence.org/blog
Networked_Music_Review: http://turbulence.org/networked_music_review
Upgrade! Boston: http://turbulence.org/upgrade