[spectre] study for a passion

simon swht at clear.net.nz
Thu Feb 21 13:41:54 CET 2008

unprecedented art theatre project at City Art Rooms, Auckland New
Zealand, seeks angel to back, offers opportunity to showcase technology,
needs your help to fly:

It's about characters based on Franz Kafka and Francis Bacon. It's about
imagining an environment in which, given the very different inclinations
of these two people, they meet. And of course, in order to imagine them
meeting, well, clearly, they would not meet as themselves. They meet in
/study for a passion/ as their doubles, Mr. Eggs and Dr. K.

The meeting takes place on a parade ground where a Show of Might is
about to begin, some sort of militaristic, possibly nationalist
spectacle. They meet on the edge of this parade ground.

In order for us to show in the installation that these two are meeting
as their doubles, what we have in mind is that we make two dummies who
are the real Francis Bacon and the real Franz Kafka. During the day,
they will wear the costumes which the actors wear at night in
performance. The dummies will live in a kind of unconscious of the
installation and performance: the side gallery. They will be a tableau
mort. Surrounded by the collected detritus of our efforts to imagine
them meeting when alive.

Additionally, during the day, visitors to the gallery trigger their own
capture and representation. They become such that they no longer
recognise themselves, reproduced with delay in realtime, other others.

On-stage at night: two actors spar, torture, compete for reality, for
the lee to explode into abject life. As objects. Subjects. Narrators.
History.

While projected, they constitute the  "Concentration of Camp" Francis
Bacon always facetiously introduced to others  as the Colony Room. Or is
that the other way around.

Written and conceived by Simon Taylor, an interdisciplinary event at
City Art Rooms [www.cityartrooms.co.nz] seeking the angel or angels, the
patron or patrons to ensure it goes as far as it can.

We are drowning. Please support.

(nz$3 000 is the figure sought to realise this exceptional
cross-disciplinary project.)

Thank you,

Simon Taylor

www.squarewhiteworld.com