[spectre] media art and dictatorial regimes

Melinda Rackham director at anat.org.au
Mon Jun 30 03:39:55 CEST 2008

I find this discussion odd

wouldn't working in most countries, under most regimes, be problematic?
all western democratic governments supports horrible human rights
abuses, engage in wars for profit, are well documented torturers,
thier corporations destroy communities and the environment in
developing countries,  they unlawfully detain people, support forms
of slavery, child sex trafficking, etc.

Australian is seen a fairly benign in terms of world regimes.. yet
our democracy is built on genocide of indigenous population, slavery
of whites ( convict labour)  and decimation of whole pacific islands
and slavery of pacific islanders. Today we  have monstrous detention
centers in the desert which traumatize the detaines to suicide and
self mutilation,  a lovely project  called "the pacific solution", we
let refugees drown to discourage others - http://www.sievx.com  Our
indigenous communities have high addiction rates ( six year olds with
petrol sniffing habits) ,  short life spans, an outrageously high
proportion in jail and "deaths in custody".

where do you draw the line?

warm regards,
Melinda

++++++++++++
Dr Melinda Rackham
Executive Director
Australian Network for Art and Technology
+61 (0)8 8231 9037
+61 (0)410 596 592
http://www.anat.org.au
director at anat.org.au

Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT) is generously
supported by the Australian Government through the Australia Council,
its arts funding and advisory body, the South Australian Government
through Arts SA, and the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy, an
initiative of the Australian, State and Territory Governments.