[spectre] YES MEN APOLOGIZE TO BRITISH PETROLEUM

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Tue Mar 11 12:26:00 CET 2008

     http://www.beyond-petrol.com/

- ----- Forwarded message from The Yes Men <people at theyesmen.org> -----

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Use of a website... infringing copyright on the trademarks of
BP p.l.c.
Date:     Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:15:09 -0000
From:     White, Robert S C <robert.white2 at uk.bp.com>

Dear Sirs,

My name is Robert White and I work in  Group Trade Marks - part of the
Legal Department of BP p.l.c.

Our responsibilities extend to protecting the BP brand and trade marks
which   includes  monitoring  the   internet  for   infringements  and
fraudulent activities.

Our attention  has been  drawn to the  existence of the  following web
pages.  http://www.theyesmen.org/agribusiness/beyondpetrol/

You will  note that  these pages bear  a remarkable similarity  to the
genuine www.bp.com <http://www.bp.com> website.

You  will  observe that  the  webpages  in  question include  multiple
reproductions of  the BP logo. BP  p.l.c. has not  authorised this and
submit that this infringes the copyright in BP's trademarks.

In addition, we are concerned that there is a real risk of that
genuine visitors could be confused and being diverted away from the
genuine www.bp.com <http://www.bp.com> site. For example, please refer
to link to the "Contact Us" page
http://www.theyesmen.org/agribusiness/beyondpetrol/contactusdisplay.html

You will see that there are a number email addresses listed all ending
in  "@beyondpetrol.com".  BP  neither  owns  the  www.beyondpetrol.com
<http://www.beyondpetrol.com>  domain  and  nor  the  email  addresses
attached to the domain.

Whilst we do not object to the www.theyesmen.org