[spectre] Walking Bethlehem - 6+ at the Bronx Art Museum

Rozalinda borcila at arts.usf.edu
Wed May 14 00:25:23 CEST 2008

Walking Bethlehem: take an alternative tour of the Holy Land
(12:00 to 3:00 SATURDAY, MAY 17, 2008)

Never been to the Holy Land?

Enter Bethlehem!

The 6+ art collective* and friends present a counter-narrative of the
political and social realities of life in the Occupied Palestinian
Territories (OPT) based on the efforts of actual "alternative" or
"unplugged" tours of the Holy Land. Come visit Bethlehem with our
guided tours of where2go while in the OPT.

Itinerary highlights:

- Salam, Shalom and Welcome! Cross the Bethlehem checkpoint

- Last Call: Wine tasting at Cremisan Winery (soon to be annexed to
Israel!)

- Ask A Palestinian!** Authentic dialogue introduces you to local
viewpoints

- Plus other Palestinian hospitality and video screenings  designed to
take you to the very heart of the OPT experience

SATURDAY, MAY 17, 2008, 12:00 to 6:00 pm
A Day of Collaborative Performance
In conjunction with the exhibition "Making It Together"
North Wing—2nd Floor

The Bronx Museum of the Arts (http://www.bronxmuseum.org)
1040 Grand Concourse
Bronx, NY 10456-3999
T: 718.681.6000
F: 718.681.6181

Admission:
$5 Adults
$3 Students and Seniors
Free for Members and Children under 12

Contemporary Collectives Do Outrageous Work! A day long performance at
the Museum featuring The Brainstormers (in collaboration with the
Guerrilla Girls), Christal Brown and INSPIRIT, 6+, Ridykeulous,
Broadband, and much, much more....

12:00 to 3:00 - 6+: "Walking Bethlehem" An interactive travel tour of
the Holy Land. Location: North Wing 2nd Floor Alcove.

6+ is Sama Alshaibi, Wendy Babcox, Rozalinda Borcila, Mary Rachel
Fanning, Yana Payusova and Sherry  Wiggins.
Attendents: Sumia and Arwa Ibrahim and Will Pappenheimer.

* 6+ is a collective which invites women artists from different
cultural backgrounds to work together. We seek to develop a supportive,
creative network of women artists through a practice of direct
engagement. We explore different possibilities for artistic cooperation
across great distances, both geographic and cultural. Our work is about
finding connections between apparently distant locations and
experiences, while at the same time creating a space for difference. We
believe it is possible to work together to create relationships outside
the logic of the market, of commerce, of the media and of the march of
armies.

** 6+ member, Sama Alshaibi - a Palestinian.

*** The views expressed by the artists are not the views of the museum