[spectre] Untethered at Eyebeam

Sarah Cook sarah.e.cook at sunderland.ac.uk
Thu Oct 9 21:31:19 CEST 2008

I am writing to let you know that the exhibition I have curated at
Eyebeam (540 West 21st Street, NY) is on for another fortnight.
It's called Untethered - info about it is here: http://
www.eyebeam.org/engage/engage.php?page=exhibitions&id=190

Untethered is a sculpture garden of everyday objects deprogrammed of
their original function, embedded with new intelligence, and
transformed into surrealist and surprising readymades, including a
photocopier that reads the night sky; a PDA turned guitar; and a
piano that plays the Internet. The exhibition features pieces by 15
artists working at the intersection of art and technology, including
current and former Eyebeam residents and fellows, as well as leading
international artists:

     * Jessica Banks
     * Ayah Bdeir
     * Michel de Broin
     * Max Dean
     * Paul DeMarinis
     * Kelly Dobson
     * Germaine Koh
     * JooYoun Paek
     * Sascha Pohflepp
     * Hans-Christoph Steiner
     * Thomson & Craighead
     * Nor_/d (Addie Wagenknecht + Stefan Hechenberger)
     * Joe Winter

Curated by Eyebeam curatorial fellow Sarah Cook, whose fellowship is
supported by a partnership with CRUMB

We have three events coming up: a workshop with Hans Christoph
Steiner where you can learn how to put new open source software on
your old iPod or PDA on Oct 14; A performance event and critique of
artists' performing machines from hacked everyday technologies, with
JooYoun Paek and others, on the 21st; and a closing reception and
discussion on ideas of the readymade, found object, and obsolescence
on the 25th

On the site you can also download the Audio Guide to the exhibition,
with info about the works in the artists' own words. Photos have been
uploaded to Flickr.

Let me know if you'll be in New York and able to come by Eyebeam, I'd
love to catch up,
thanks
Sarah

Sarah Cook
www.crumbweb.org

Eyebeam Art and Technology Center
540 West 21st Street
New York, NY 10011
T: 212.937.6580 x240
F: 212.937.6582
sarah at eyebeam.org

Open Tuesday-Saturday 12-6
Untethered runs September 25 - October 25 2008