[spectre] The permanence of knowledge

xname xname at squat.net
Fri Feb 6 22:09:16 CET 2009

Hello spectros,

I am happy to paste here a link to an article I wrote last year, whose
translation to English I just reviewed.

http://xname.cc/text/the_permanence_of_knowledge.txt

This is an interview to Edoardo De Carli, my teacher of Italian and
English at the high school in Milan. When we wrote together this text,
the topic was not as trendy as it is now, still important to us.

De Carli, nicknamed 'dec' or 'edc', was well known in our school for coming
to the examitions wearing sun glasses, so we could not know where he was
looking and at what... For the first 30 minutes we were not allowed to
open the dictionary, and the latin text would start making sense by itself.

Over the last ten years we met only in cyberspace.

Quote:

"Reform or reforms? Apparently, each new government brings in reforms
with the result that the long-term investment becomes more uncertain,
fragmentary, precarious. Moreover, school's adaptation to the situation
became a coward attempt to survive, a 'do it yourself' management
disguised as school autonomy. The aspects of the reform that have caused
more disorder have been precisely school autonomy (at the end the
different cycles give results that diverse you cannot guarantee any
cohering quality level), and the abolition of the "September
exams" (students not proficient in maximum three subjects could be
re-examined on September and either pass or repeat the year). That was
the cherry on the cake: students definitely turned into customers, and
the idea that it is the shop that should provide the product one is
looking for was confirmed. The sense of responsibility of the human
being forging his destiny with his own hands was lost."

This text was originally published in Italian on Digicult.it
English translation by Chiara Resmini (reviewed by the author).

Italian here: http://xname.cc/text/la_permanenza_del_sapere.pdf

About the difficulties of translating, I will write another article,
eventually.

This text is dedicated with gratitude to all those who I learned from.

love,
xname