[spectre] Neanderthal Electronics

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Wed Feb 18 21:20:11 CET 2009

Dear Spectres,

I recently completed the first two editions of a series of workshops I
am looking forward to continuing in 2009. Info + video samples follow.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or proposals!

Derek

***

Neanderthal Electronics: an instrument-building workshop by Derek Holzer

More than 40,000 years ago, our Neanderthal ancestors invented the first
music instruments from simple objects around them (bones and stones,
sticks and skins...), without reference to any existing music history,
and primarily for their own pleasure rather than that of others.

Nowadays, we use complex audio hardware and software which make it
"easier" to create music, so long as we channel our creativity into such
socially acceptable avenues as Western Classical or Minimal Techno. As
with any established genre, the results are often completely
predictable, and therefore quite boring.

But some of us, deep in our wild hearts, still long for the Stone Age
simplicity of pure noise!

The Neanderthal Electronics workshops are designed for approximately
8-10 people, possibly with a background in sound, but with no previous
electronics experience. Over 5 days, they are shown how to use simple
objects from our modern environment (resistors, capacitors, transistors,
LEDs, integrated circuit chips...) to design and build their own
personal, customized primitive noise synthesizers.

A final presentation allows the participants to demonstrate and play
their creations, as well as allows the audience to make their own
experiments with the newly built instruments.

This workshop has been realized so far at:

Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Copenhagen, Denmark (Feb 2009)
Tartu Art Month, Tartu, Estonia (Feb 2009)

with future workshops under discussion to to take place in Germany,
Estonia and the UK. The workshop is currently available for booking in
Europe during Spring and Summer 2009.

Video documentation from both previous workshops can be seen at:

http://www.vimeo.com/album/64426

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista
---Oblique Strategy # 28: