[spectre] Prof. Roy Ascott - Lecture - 19.06. Centre for Contemporary Art Laznia in Gdansk (PL)

Katarzyna Wozniak katarzyna.wozniak at laznia.pl
Mon Jun 15 08:48:09 CEST 2009

>> INVITATION <<

Centre for Contemporary Art Laznia in Gdansk, PL

is happy to invite you to a lecture of

PROF. ROY ASCOTT

ART AND TECHNOETIC EVOLUTION: THE MULTIPLE SELF IN A VARIABLE REALITY

on Friday, June 19th 2009 6 p.m.
1 Jaskolcza Street
80-767 Gdansk

This presentation will argue that the field of consciousness is a
non-material, irreducible given, which our evolution enables us
progressively to access. Technoetic systems (somatic, digital and
pharmaceutical) extend our connectivity within the field. At the same time,
the mind’s capacity for managing personal identity has been socially
constrained, with the isolated, solitary self set in an immutable
materiality as a feature of western culture since the Enlightenment. But
now, the single-self organism is evolving into the multiple self, enabling
us to participate more creatively in the evolution of the multi-layered,
syncretic reality we inhabit. The artist is uniquely equipped to negotiate
and navigate this reality. The material, conceptual and spiritual
infrastructure needed to support this emergence calls for new forms of
behaviour, new language, new structures and systems.

For more information please contact:
Kasia Wozniak
Jaskolcza 1
80-767 Gdansk