[spectre] Autonet - an autonomous internet

dj lotu5 lotu5 at resist.ca
Tue Jun 23 01:16:22 CEST 2009

Autonet is a project to create a wireless, global internet that can
provide more reliability than corporate phone companies by being
community based and freely licensed.

The cutting off access to The Pirate Bay by BT in the UK [1] is just
another sign of the beginning of the end. The fact that the Great
Firewall of China exists signals that the internet is already obsolete
and that the Great Firewall of the US is just around the corner. While
moves against net neutrality began years ago and have been fought, nasty
laws such as HR4437 and the Total Information Awareness program have a
way of coming into existence later in the future, slightly modified,
under different names. The internet as we know it, as a place for free
exchange of information, as the center of what has been called a second
17th century with new ideas, creativity and innovation emerging daily,
is rapidly coming to an end. We must use these last gasps of freedom to
route around the disaster and create a truly free network.

How? Advances in wireless technology such as ubiquitous wireless
routers, community mesh networks which are easily expandable and
self-healing as well as long range wireless efforts such as HPWREN
indicate a possible future for a community based internet free of the
centralized control of telephone corporations and governments. While
this is definitely a fork, more forks are to come and we can only hope
that a few networks will emerge which can be broad enough to span most
of the globe.

Major questions remain to be solved, such as speed issues, routing
issues, DNS control, splits and neutrality. The Autonet, or Autonomous
Internet project seems to begin to address this rapidly changing
situation, where today Germany [2] has installed internet filtering as
well and more countries are to come. While today those cut off are
defying copyright laws, tomorrow any other political issue may be the
cause for being denied access to global networks. While today the FBI is
content to steal servers from information providers like Indymedia,
perhaps tomorrow they will not be happy until indymedia is completely
cut off of the network, or other open sources of information such as
blogs, twitter accounts and social networks of dissident groups.

The popular revolt in Iran and subsequent disruption of network access
by the Iranian government is only a glimpse of what is to come in the US
and around the world, where the first line of attack against political
resistance is to cut off network access. By establishing a community
based, wireless, global network we can allow groups of individuals, not
corporations, to maintain freedom of communication; We can create out
right to communicate instead of asking for it, and continue to route
around obsolete intellectual property laws which restrict our dreams and
our creativity. Join this effort by going to http://alt-bit.org and
contributing to this research, lets start outlining the problems,
finding the technical solutions and work out the issues, collectively,
as a Free Software / Open Hardware project, using open licensing.

Another urgent reason for Autonet is one that has motivated Free
Software hackers for so long: Technological progress without a reliance
on corporate support. Given the current financial and economic crises,
how long can we expect dinosaurs like phone companies to survive? If one
of these crises turns into disaster, the consequence is likely to be the
disrution of collapse of the global networks on which we rely. I am not
ready to give up what has been gained from these networks, including a
worldwide communication between political actors empowered through fast
information flows. We must start this long, difficult project today so
that we may be ready for unexpected dangers which threaten our
capability to communicate as a multitude, globally.

To add to the project, go to http://trac.alt-bit.org/wiki/projects/autonet

To sign up to participate, go to http://trac.alt-bit.org/register

-djlotu5 <http://trac.alt-bit.org/wiki/user/djlotu5>
-chead <http://trac.alt-bit.org/wiki/user/chead>