[spectre] V2_ presents: 'Liquid Space 6.0' at the Rotterdam Museum Night, March 7

V2_ joris at v2.nl
Mon Mar 2 17:42:32 CET 2009

March 7, Rotterdam Museum Night at V2_

PREVIEW 'LIQUID SPACE 6.0'
Daan Roosegaarde

March 7, 2009
8 p.m.–2 a.m.
Admission: Free
Location: V2_, Eendrachtsstraat 10

On Rotterdam’s museum night, V2_ Institute for the Unstable Media will
hold a preview of the installation 'Liquid Space 6.0' by Rotterdam
artist Daan Roosegaarde (known for projects including the Sustainable
Dance Floor at the club WATT). Visitors who enter Liquid Space will
notice that the installation responds to them. The installation appears
to come alive: its form follows the visitor’s movements, the tubes light
up, and the movements of the visitor and the space fuse.

Roosegaarde has lived and worked in Rotterdam since his master’s course
at the Berlage Institute. His work stems from a fascination with
technology. Between the first Liquid Space installation (which
Roosegaarde built in 2002, as he was graduating from AKI) and the
current sixth version lie years of technological development. The first
version of Liquid Space was a moving metal structure driven by clearly
visible windshield-wiper motors.

Roosegaarde says, “My goal is to refine the technology so that it is
invisible and interaction with the work is experienced as something
natural. With Liquid Space 6.0, I feel like the technology really does
merge with the experience. Current interactive technologies exist mainly
on screens and are therefore flat. I want to make these technologies
physical in a poetic way in the form of spaces or landscapes.”

'Liquid Space 6.0' was developed by Daan Roosegaarde and the Studio
Roosegaarde team (Peter de Man, Axis Stuifmeel and project staff). On
Museumnacht, VJ Barbara Nordhjem will transform V2_ into the ideal
visitors’ lounge using video projections based on the Liquid Space
series.

March 12: Test_Lab: Artistic Interfaces
On V2_’s Test_Lab night on March 12, Daan Roosegaarde will be present to
discuss his work and take questions from the audience. For the full
program, see www.v2.nl.

www.studioroosegaarde.net
www.v2.nl