[spectre] Sat, Lui Velazquez Opens New Space with New Show

dj lotu5 lotu5 at resist.ca
Wed Mar 11 04:02:29 CET 2009

Come out Saturday night and celebrate the opening of our new space, with
much more space! Please pass this on to anyone interested...

Intimate Simulations

Grand opening of Lui Velazquez 2.0
Saturday March 14th / Sabado 14 Marzo
7-9pm

Featuring the work of:

Susy Bielak
Dream Addictive Lab
Elle Mehrmand
Zac Montanaro
Priscilla Lázaro Rabago

Co-curated by Katherine Sweetman, Micha Cárdenas and Felipe Zuñiga

Lui Velazquez
Calle José Maria Larroque #273.
2do Piso, Int. 6, Colonia Federal.
Tijuana, Baja California.
Mexico, C.P. 22 300*
*

flyer at: http://luivelazquez.com/lui_card1
directions at: http://luivelazquez.com/directions

//  Intimate Simulations  //

In contemporary western society, we have developed an intimate
relationship with our simulations. Both simulation and reenactment have
become part of our daily lives, and we are familiar with their logics.
Simulation is so deeply embedded in our thinking, that many of our most
important decisions are made based on simulation, such as the dropping
of bombs. Yet simple, personal decisions in our daily lives are also
made on simulations, such as weather simulations. In our homes at night,
we watch the news and see reenactments of crimes. Our political
struggles are influenced by the reenactments of the lives of historical
figures and moments, such as the recent film 'Milk'. Scientists rely on
the logic of simulation to inform their decisions and conclusions,
making the most sacrosanct act of 'proof' in our society, based on a
simulation of, for example, biological behaviors. Legal decisions depend
on reenactments such as in the assassination of JFK. In Simulacra and
Simulation Baudrillard quotes Ecclesiastes saying "the simulacrum is
never what hides the truth-- It is truth that hides the fact that there
is none. the simulacrum is true." Today this idea still holds great
significance as new forms of simulation and reenactment work themselves
into our most private moments.

Artists are directly engaging with the logics of simulation and
reenactment, using their vernaculars and exploring their dimensions and
implications. In this show, we are presenting a number of pieces which
deeply engage with simulation and reenactment. In Suzy Bielak's
"Quake/Temblor", a reenactment of the Mexico City earthquake of 1985, we
witness a reenactment of a moment from her personal history, using the
technologies of scientific simulation. Elle Mehrmand's "w3eks.."
simulates her memory of 3 weeks of her life, providing an intimate
reliving of her experience. Priscilla Lázaro Rabago's performance and
video both contains and recreates a puppet show, creating a nested
topology of copies and simulations of humanness. Zac Montanaro's
"Missing Priest Puts Focus on Cluster Ballooning" reenacts a political
act of communication through low tech border disturbance gestures. While
Dream Addictive's Untitled_Mood is a simulator of a virtual mirror with
a memory, in which the viewers intimtate experience of their own image
in the mirror is fractured and doubled through the memory of the mirror
itself. These pieces explore multiple trajectories of simulation and
evoke its place, embedded in our lives, between us and ourselves.

More information about Lui Velazquez and past shows at
http://luivelazquez.com

--

micha cárdenas
performance /social media / public culture

C(a)lit2 Researcher, http://bang.calit2.net
CRCA Researcher, http://crca.ucsd.edu
MFA Candidate, UCSD, http://visarts.ucsd.edu
MA, EGS, http://egs.edu