[spectre] Strange turn of events in the European Capital of Culture

Aileen Derieg emonk at eliot.priv.at
Wed May 6 15:18:03 CEST 2009

For the year of European Capital of Culture Linz 2009, the city of
Linz, Austria, has a new slogan: "Linz changes"
This is not the kind of "change" we were prepared for:

Events in the current European Capital of Culture Linz 2009 took a
strange turn last Friday, when the alternative May 1st demonstration
was first stopped and then violently broken up by police.
There is a collection of press reports (mostly in German, but some
translations can be provided) and videos here:
http://antifa.servus.at/pressespiegel
The Alliance Against Police Violence and for Freedom of Demonstration
formed spontaneously in reaction, which is meanwhile supported by over
100 organizations and more than 300 individuals. On Friday, 8 May
2009, there will be a press conference at 11 am and a demonstration
starting at 4 pm.
Below is an English translation of the statement from the Alliance.
Contact address: gegenpolizeigewalt at servus.at

Alliance Declaration, Linz, 3 May 2009

Against Police Violence and for Freedom of Demonstration
Alliance Against Police Violence Condemns the Excessive Police Action
on May 1st

We were shocked and appalled to learn on 1 May 2009 that the
officially authorized alternative May Demonstration was prevented and
broken up by the Linz police. The right to demonstrate is a
constitutional right and an essential cornerstone of our democracy.
According to the police, a violation of the ban on masks, in other
words a regulation offense, was the reason for the police
intervention. As numerous photos and videos unequivocally document,
however, no one can be seen masked from the beginning to the end of
the period that they were surrounded by the police. Why the police
continue to maintain this statement is a mystery to us. And even if
some individuals had been masked in the beginning, this cannot justify
such a forceful intervention ? including against those seeking to
mediate.

The general mood in the anti-fascist bloc, as confirmed by numerous
witnesses, was peaceful and calm. The demo would have taken place as
it has every year, there have never been problems before. Why the
police speak of an unprecedented potential for danger is thoroughly
incomprehensible.
The subsequent escalation ? attacks with clubs and pepper spray on the
part of the police ? just like the brutal arrests, was unprovoked and
wholly excessive. The mistreatment of the vice-rector of the Art
University, Rainer Zendron, documented on ORF film material, is only
one example of the scandalous proceedings of the police. Other people
arrested were treated substantially more brutally. The ORF video shows
a policeman beating a demonstrator over a dozen times. The
demonstrator consequently required treatment in the city hospital.

All of this happened while neo-nazis ? with raised hands ? strolled
largely unhindered through the city, stopping by not only the May 1st
Demo, but also a picnic organized by an association for children. At
this time it is still unclear whether the escalation on the part of
the police was due to the director of operations being unable to cope
with the situation on site, or whether the escalation was intentional.

We expressly welcome the investigation announced the Security Director
Lißl, and we are certain that the analysis of the different source
material will reveal the cause of the events of May 1st. The events of
May 1st are not only highly alarming in terms of democracy, they also
counter the attempts of the City of Linz to present itself as an open
city of culture.

We call for a full investigation and account of the police operation,
an immediate halt of the legal proceedings, and a return to democratic
rules of engagement and freedom of demonstration.

The Alliance Against Police Violence was spontaneously formed and is
already supported by 110 organizations and over 300 individuals. (as
of 5 May 2009, 9:30 pm)