[spectre] Subtle Technologies Festival 2009 investigates "networks"

jim jruxton at subtletechnologies.com
Wed May 6 08:06:09 CEST 2009

Subtle Technologies 2009, Toronto, June 10th to 14th

This year Subtle Technologies investigates the theme of "networks".

Early Bird discounted passes to the 12th annual Subtle Technologies
Festival are available until May 11th.

In the past year we have witnessed the rapid decline of the worlds
economy. Our lives are networked at an unprecedented level. From the
global economy to the way we communicate networks touch our lives daily.
This year Subtle Technologies will investigate networks from diverse
points of view. Artist's, designers and scientists come together and
share their work, insights and techniques over 5 days and evenings. Some
of the highlights include:

A 2 day workshop on using open source software for producing and
streaming audio and video content. Participants will learn how to use
APODIO, a Gnu/Linux multimedia distribution developed by the workshop
instructor Julien Ottavi http://www.noiser.org/noise/doku.php . This
workshop is presented in partnership with the Ontario College of Art and
Design.

A 3 day Symposium with presentations by artists and scientists on a
variety of topics such as hacker networks, community based wireless
networks, viral networks, biochemical networks, social networks, neural
networks, collaboration networks etc.

An evening of performance featuring War Mail by Jeremy Bailey,A
networked performance on Second Life by Second Front,The Pauline
Oliveros / Ione / Chris Chafe trio in networked performance, Ukiyo -
Moveable World by Johannes Birringer

This year Subtle Technologies partners with Luminato to present a
conversation between physicist/author Lee Smolin, theatre director
Marianne Weems and mathematician/playwright John Mighton.  The
discussion will delve into the art and a science of our networked lives.

An exhibition entitled Transmute features two “mixed reality” projects
that explore the economic and cultural intersection of Second Life and
the bio-world. The works are by artists Lynne Heller and duo Scott
Kildall and Victoria Scott. This exhibition is Co-Presented by the
University of Toronto Art Centre.

A networking party featuring a premier performance of 10 Tenori-On's .
The Tenori-On has been dubbed the "new digital musical instrument of the
21st Century". It will be an interesting evening of music and mingling.

To get information and to purchase passes to the festival visit
http://www.subtletechnologies.com
--

Jim Ruxton
Festival Director