[spectre] Galerija Galzenica (Velika Gorica/Zagreb, Croatia), Open Call for Proposals in 2010

galerija galzenica galerija.galzenica at globalnet.hr
Fri May 8 10:58:38 CEST 2009

In his book Century, Alain Badiou describes the 20th century as the
century determined by politics and art. On the one hand, revolutionary
politics, resolved to end all the contradictions of modernity, and, on
the other hand, uncompromised art, resolved to equally participate with
other social practices in creating the future. What marks the 20th
century, claims Badiou, is the moment in which the artistic and
political project meet and intersect; at one point it seems that art has
more political value and impact than politics, and that politics had
more beauty than art.

Therefore, the whole 20th century in art is a criticism of
representation. In that criticism, the visual arts have advanced the
most. The avant-garde was new, it expressed the present and announced
the future; all the rest was old, classical, conservative and
represented the past. That constant confrontation of “old” and “new”,
Badiou claims, resulted with an unsolved tension, some form of
non-dialectic disjunction, without synthesis.

Following Badiou’s thesis that the 21st century deserves some form of
conjunction, some form of resolving the constant tension, some and-and¸
not or-or, we invite you to participate with your works and projects in
Galerija Galženica’s 2010 programme. We hope that the questions below
will help.

Does today’s artistic representation carry the same problems as in the
20th century? Is painting still a simulation? Or is it a simulation of a
simulation, or both? Do we still have to choose between painting and
action, or are we allowed to equally use both as artistic tools? Do the
so called new media bring about some form of change into this, for
Badiou, typically modern paradigm of artistic invention? How does
iconoclasm for the 21st century look like – if it exists? If the art of
the 20th century has exhausted itself in implementing its own
emancipation, what options does it have in today’s global society? Does
it have the option, as in anti-globalist demonstrations or the blockade
of the Faculty of Philosophy and Social Sciences in Zagreb, of
representing some form of background fortification before the clash with
the police, a reprieve between two actions? Or does it have the option
to simply guarantee for the visual attractiveness of the event and its
representation in the media?

Please, send proposals (artistic and curatorial works and projects) to
the address galzenica at gmail.com. by July 1st. The results of the Open
Call will be known by July 15 2009. More: www.galerijagalzenica.info

--
Pučko otvoreno učilište Velika Gorica