[spectre] _____-micro_research workshops_31//news: November 14th 2PM: Remote Control – a workshop on TV programme programming with Linda Hilfling

m m at 1010.co.uk
Mon Nov 9 21:31:04 CET 2009

A series of working groups, events and workshops at
_____-micro_research [Berlin]; an independent research centre focusing
on the expanded construction and experience of free software and open
hardware.

Calendar:

November 14th 2PM: Remote Control – a workshop on TV programme
programming with Linda Hilfling

November 19th 8PM: Micro-residency salon with Olsen Wolf

November 28th 2PM: Irrational Computing with Ralf Baecker

//<-----------------------------------------------

November 14th 2PM: Remote Control – a workshop on TV programme
programming with Linda Hilfling

In 1932 Bertolt Brecht formulated a critique of the radio as a
centralized mass media, and advocated a decentralized media structure
with as many senders as receivers. Ever since, the general notion of
democratic media has been, and still is, identical to people getting
access to transmitting their own content. From independent grassroot
TV makers to pirate radio stations or online digital platforms, the
aim has been to create a perfect, democratic media structure by
granting people access to the technology. Today though, with a media
landscape made up of corporate internet service providers, Brecht's
visions seem to have been fulfilled. However, paradoxically enough, by
venture entrepreneurs capitalizing on so called architectures of
participation.

In this workshop we will try to go beyond the general notion of
democratic media as a matter of access and instead re-examine the
concept by itself. When broken apart, it raises questions around
systems of organization and means of control. The workshop is on one
side a conceptual framework for the discussion and exploration of
participatory media production and the relation between code, content
and execution, but also a 'hands-on' introduction to simple
commandline video editing. We will develop TV programmes - small
scripts that executes video content in different ways. At the end of
the day we will turn the space into a pirate TV channel and make a
collective transmission out of our TV programming efforts.

Please bring video material and computer.

Fee: 5 euros (includes food!)

Please email m at 1010.co.uk to reserve a place (strictly limited)

---_______

Background:

Workshops led by field-expert practitioners extend over realms of code
and embedded code, environmental code, noise, transmission and
reception, and electromysticism. Workshops solely utilise free
software and GNU toolbase.

Practitioners at pickledfeet have included Martin Kuentz
(prd at scrying.org), Julian Oliver (http://julianoliver.com), Derek
Holzer (http://soundtransit.nl), Jeff Mann (http://jeffmann.com),
Martin Howse (http://1010.co.uk), Kathrin Guenter
(http://www.fotokatie.com), Alice Miceli
(http://www.premiosergiomotta.org.br/blog/chernobyl2), Fredrik
Olofsson (http://www.fredrikolofsson.com/), Florian Cramer
(http://cramer.plaintext.cc:70/), Brendan Howell, jo FRGMNT
grys(http://tob.de.vu/), mikomikona
http://www.zuviel.tv/mikomikona.html, Antony Hall
(http://antonyhall.net), Gijs Gieskes (http://gieskes.nl/), Alexei
Blinov (http://www.raylab.com), Valentina Vuksic
(http://sei-personaggi-part2.ch/), Dave Griffiths
(http://www.pawfal.org), Marc Boon (http://www.marcboon.com),
Christian Faubel, Cordula Körber, and Ralf Schreiber
(http://ralfschreiber.com/), Roman Häfeli and Olsen Wolf
(http://www.netpd.org), Aymeric Mansoux and Jan-Kees van Kampen
(http://www.goto10.org), Danja Vassiliev and Gordan Savicic (http://moddr.net/)

_____-micro_research, pickledfeet, Linienstrasse 54, Berlin 10119