[spectre] Fwd: Künstlerhaus Bethanien , Moving and Relaunch June 2010

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Wed Nov 25 13:22:44 CET 2009

From: Christina Sickert <sickert at bethanien.de>
Subject: Künstlerhaus Bethanien: Umzug und Relaunch Juni
   2010 / Moving and Relaunch June 2010
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:29:53 +0100

künstlerhaus bethanien gmbh
PRESS RELEASE
24.11.2009

Künstlerhaus Bethanien at Kottbusser Straße 10 as from June 2010

Dear colleagues, partners and friends of Künstlerhaus Bethanien,

Künstlerhaus Bethanien GmbH and Nicolas Berggruen
Holdings GmbH are pleased to announce that
after 35 good, eventful years in the Bethanien
building on Mariannenplatz in Kreuzberg,
Künstlerhaus
Bethanien will be continuing its studio and
exhibition programme with fresh dynamism in new,
extended
premises in the commercial property Kottbusser
Straße 10/ Kohlfurter Str. 41/43 in Kreuzberg
as f rom June 2010. The corresponding lease
contract has been concluded with Nicolas Berg g
ru e n
Holdings GmbH. The company acquired the
predominantly vacant commercial building with an
overall floor space of 10,000 m2 from a property
fund in 2008, the intention being to initiate a
commercial
centre from which the legendary Kreuzberg mix of
creative culture, internationality and
experimental
innovation can diffuse its own special energy.

The occupation of the south wing of Bethanien on
Mariannenplatz by left-wing squatters in 2005,
their
toleration by the building's owner - the district
office Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg -, and the
subsequent
development of the building into a socio-cultural
neighbourhood centre was making perspectives for
Ku.nstlerhaus Bethanien GmbH's internationally
oriented work increasingly difficult. Nicolas
Berggruen
Holdings made a persuasive offer: an opportunity
to start again - quasi as the key, inspiring
tenant - in the context of an artistic concept
for the use of a location with good public
transport access
between Kottbusser Tor and Fraenkelufer.
The new location of the Ku.nstlerhaus at
Kottbusser Straße 10 will mean considerably
improved conditions
for working and presentation, so helping to
generate fresh dynamism for our longstanding,
successful work of promoting excellence in the
field of young, contemporary art and also
sharpening
Ku.nstlerhaus Bethanien's profile as an
internationally acknowledged experimental
laboratory and
think tank.
After the completion of conversion measures for
Ku.nstlerhaus Bethanien, visitors will encounter
enhanced
offers with larger, more flexible areas for
events and exhibitions, an increase in the number
of
artists' studios and thus an expansion of the
International Studio Programme, a much improved
workshop situation, large-area lifts, and an
entrance area that will create its own impact on
public
space at Kottbusser Straße 10. The gallery
exhibition area, now extended to 730 m2, will be
directly
accessible from here. Flexible ground plans for
the artists' studios ranging from 45 to 90 m2
will enable
us to invite 25 artists each year in future. An
additional meeting place is sure to enliven
groupdynamics
among visitors and guests.
The owner of around 60 properties in Berlin and
Potsdam including Café Moskau and the
Sarotticourtyards
on Mehringdamm, Berggruen Holdings intends the
five-storey building complex to be used
predominantly by the cultural industry, with a
mix including all fields of communications and
creative business, as well as related handicrafts and other skilled trades.
The aesthetic quality of the architecture on the
quietly-situated street Kohlfurter Straße, which
extends
as far as Kottbusser Straße, and its
well-preserved structural condition presents an
ideal basis for this
project. Careful restoration retaining the
buildings' historical charm, equipping with
modern technology,
and the introduction of individual contemporary
architectural accents have created an ambience
with a forward-looking, flexible layout of space
that is highly suited to the needs of creative
industries.
As from the second quarter of 2010, additional
studio, office and commercial areas will be
available for
lease on the upper floors (from 250 m2) as well
as space for galleries and/or shops on the ground
floor.
Since 2005, preparations for Ku.nstlerhaus
Bethanien's move have been carefully attended and
actively
supported by the Senate Office for Cultural
Affairs and the shareholders of Ku.nstlerhaus
Bethanien
GmbH, the Academy of the Arts in Berlin, the
German Academic Exchange Service - and partners at
home and abroad. Adonation from the foundation
Deutsche Klassenlotterie made conversion and
development measures possible. Special thanks are due to all our supporters.
Such new perspectives must be celebrated in
suitable style: the plan is to mark the re-launch
of the
Ku.nstlerhaus in the context of a major
celebratory event on Friday, 11th June 2010,
which will be attended
by representatives of the Senate Office and
Nicolas Berggruen and include a major exhibition
opening with party to follow.
Naturally, we will gladly inform you about the
details of our removal plans and the re-launch
celebrations.
We sincerely hope that we can rely on your
continued interest in Ku.nstlerhaus Bethanien and
its work
during the coming, exciting months of our move
and the new beginning - and that we have been able
to trigger your interest in the further development of the commercial centre.
Best regards
Ku.nstlerhaus Bethanien GmbH
Nicolas Berggruen Holdings GmbH

Nicolas Berggruen Holdings GmbH		Ku.nstlerhaus Bethanien GmbH
Commercial lease: Thorsten Ohmann	Press Office: Christina Sickert
Tel. 030 25 93 996 0		Tel. 030 616 90 315
to at berggruenholdings.de		presse at bethanien.de
www.berggruenholdings.de		www.bethanien.de