[spectre] Call out for artists

diana ali alidiana at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 20:30:52 CET 2009

Call out for artists

‘Dialogues: A Fake Romance?’

For a dialogue to form, the process requires another. When another is
presented the dialogue becomes a dichotomy. Do we adopt another
persona according to who we are talking to and how genuine is that
chat? Dialogue can be seen as an exchange but this exchange is not
always equal or amicable, it can manifest into an emotional charge,
disagreements, it may lead to conflicts, irrationality, fake romances,
or jealous contingencies. Does dialogue hinder us or further us?

According to David Bohm, no one wins a dialogue; a dialogue is an
exploratory process and does not work towards a goal. However, Mikhail
Bakhtin held that relationships and connections exist among all living
beings, and that dialogue creates a new understanding of a situation
that demands change.

How to apply

Artists are invited to submit work which address or explore the theme
of dialogue and its hidden meanings. The exhibition ‘Dialogues: A Fake
Romance?’ will take place at the Elysium Gallery, South Wales in
February 2010. http://www.elysiumgallery.com/

Please note that the submission process is free but if artists are
selected they are required to pay a £20 administration fee.

To apply please send up to 3 jpeg images and a 50-100 word statement
about how the work links to the theme to alidiana at gmail.com

Deadline for submissions: 22th January 2010.

Diana Ali (Curator of ‘Dialogues: A fake romance?’)