[spectre] Do It With Others - (DIWO) at the Dark Mountain.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Oct 23 14:07:17 CEST 2009

Sorry for any cross posting...

Do It With Others - (DIWO) at the Dark Mountain.

You are invited to contribute to a Mail-Art project across physical and
digital networks towards an open exhibition at HTTP Gallery

We live in a time of social, economic and ecological unravelling. All
around us are signs that our whole way of living is already passing into
history.- Uncivilisation, The Dark Mountain Manifesto.

The Dark Mountain Project is ‘a new cultural movement for an age of
global disruption.’ It aims to ‘question the stories that underpin our
failing civilisation, to craft new ones for the age ahead and to write
clearly and honestly about our true place in the world.’ Do It With
Others (DIWO) at the Dark Mountainis a cultural collaboration for this
age. “Uncivilisation,” the Dark Mountain Manifesto, calls for a cultural
response to our current predicament. Its challenge is offered to
network-minded artists, technologists, writers and activists as a
provocation – to work together to re-envision the narratives and
infrastructures that govern our relationships with the natural world,
and how they might be unravelled and rewoven to reconfigure our place in
it. As “Uncivilisation” concludes, ‘The end of the world as we know it
is not the end of the world full stop.’

Artists, technologists, writers, activists and all other living beings
are invited to correspond with each other across physical and digital
mail networks. Transmissions and missives may take the form of texts,
images, sound, net movies, objects, software programmes and instructions
and will be assembled for an exhibition of all submissions offering new
myths and maps for future uncivilisation at HTTP Gallery.

Do It With Others at the Dark Mountain is a collaborative project by
Furtherfield.org and The Dark Mountain Project.

Do you want to Do It With Others at the Dark Mountain?

E-Mail: go to http://netbehaviour.org, subscribe to the NetBehaviour
email list, correspond and join the explosive discussions in image,
text, sound, movie and code.

Mail via Royal Mail: working with, or around, striking mail-workers,
send chain letters, circular interviews, or invent some rules for Royal
Mail object relay.

All submissions should arrive at HTTP Gallery by Thursday 26th November
addressed to

DIWO, HTTP Gallery,
Unit A2, Arena Design Centre,
71, Ashfield Road,
London, N4 1NY
England, UK

Join the Open Curation event: 12-3pm Friday 27th November ‘09 to decide
how to best display all submissions and entries at HTTP Gallery. Join us
at the gallery or online by webcam, instant messaging and Skype.
To learn how visit http://http.uk.net/diwodarkmountain

Follow the blog http://http.uk.net/diwodarkmountain where Dark
Mountaineer, Dougald Hine will be your guide to the emerging landscape
of email and snailmail exchanges.

Attend the Open Disassembly Event: 7-9pm Full Moon, 30th January ‘10
Assemble at HTTP Gallery for the closing event to help us disassemble
the display and to choose the work you would like to take home with you.

Other Important dates

Private View 7-9pm Full Moon, Wednesday 2nd December ‘09
Gallery Open
12-5pm, Friday-Sunday, 4th-12th December 2009, 8th-30th January 2010
This is the second Do It With Others (DIWO) E-Mail-Art project initiated
by Furtherfield.org. The first DIWO experiment in 2007 extended the
Do-It-Yourself ethos of early net art, characterised by curiosity,
activism and precision, towards a more collaborative approach, using the
Internet as an experimental artistic medium and distribution system to
foment grass-roots creativity.

More about The Dark Mountain Project and Furtherfield.org

The Dark Mountain Project is curated by Paul Kingsnorth and Dougald
Hine. http://www.dark-mountain.net/

Paul is the author of One No, Many Yeses and Real England. He was deputy
editor of The Ecologist between 1999 and 2001. His first poetry
collection, Kidland, is forthcoming from Salmon Poetry.
http://www.paulkingsnorth.net

Dougald writes the blog “Changing the World (and other excuses for not
getting a proper job).” He is a former BBC journalist and co-founder of
the School of Everything, and has written for and edited various online
and offline magazines. http://www.dougald.co.uk

This project is part of Furtherfield.org’s three-year programme, which
aims to provide opportunities for critical debate, exchange and
participation in emerging ecological media art practices, and the
theoretical, political and social contexts they engage.

HTTP Gallery is Furtherfield.org’s dedicated space for media art.
Furtherfield.org provides platforms for creating, viewing, discussing
and learning about experimental practices in art and technology.
Furtherfield.org and HTTP Gallery are supported by Arts Council England,
London.

Furtherfield.org http://furtherfield.org
HTTP Gallery http://http.uk.net
Furtherfied Media Art Ecologies