[spectre] The Power of 8 - Invitation to a Private View Sept 22

black black at x-i.net
Wed Sep 9 11:48:44 CEST 2009

Power of 8 Private View
Tuesday 22 September at 6.30pm at Watermans Media Gallery

Please join us and meet some of the ‘imaginateurs’ who have contributed
to the project

"Power of 8 presents /The Beamer Bees from Acres Green, which is a
design proposal for an alternate augmented ecosystem./"

http://www.watermans.org.uk/exhibitions/the_power_of_8/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you want from the future. A house? A car? A family? Maybe you
want a better job or to see a bit more of the world. It isn’t that hard
to think about what you want, but will you get it?

Global warming, a rapidly aging population, mass migration and
transformations in science and communications cloak our futures in
uncertainty.

The only thing we can know about the future is that it will be made by
many people. People who have been educated differently, who have
completely different outlooks and aspirations who speak different
languages, wear different clothes and like different food.

That’s where the Power of 8 came from. The project developed by Anab
Jain has brought together people with radically different perspectives
to imagine how we could live in the future.

Some of us see the future through technologies that will help us
self-medicate, replicate and create. Some of us look at the future
stymied by the weight of a thousand books that remind us that man is
always his own undoing. Some of us would rather stare at saints,
heroines, innovators and wish that one day we will all be like that.

The future is a date, but it’s also a story about our lives today.

We’re all looking for chipped shards of the future in our own ways, in
our own places. The Power of 8 has gathered a few that we found to
create one mosaic into which our hopes squeeze. The project has produced
a vision of a future, but the way it came about is a reflection of how
the future will come. Our hope is that somehow through the chaos of
different ideas, inventions and organizations, a more loving, just and
humane future can prevail.

Drinks and canapés will be served.

Please rsvp to angela at watermans.org.uk <mailto:angela at watermans.org.uk>

Watermans 40 High St, Brentford London, TW8 0DS

Box Office: 0208 232 1010

www.watermans.org.uk