[spectre] Furtherfield Blog - Share the Journey...

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Sep 28 16:05:42 CEST 2009

Sorry for any cross postings...

Furtherfield Blog - Recent Posts of Interest on Media Art Practice and
Culture.

A shared space for personal reflections on contemporary art practice as
part of life:
living it, breathing it, making it, curating it, translating it.

A selection of recent Blog entries below,
to read more visit - http://blog.furtherfield.org

Marc Garrett.
Not Always Digital But From the Same Place...

"I possess no desire for the singular and absolute approach of using my
art and creative projects as a hammer to promote a technologically
determined agenda. Technology is just one medium of a much larger mix of
things, allowing flexible space for an eclectic expansion of today's
very contemporary art related endevours. Furthermore, I am dedicated to
grass roots art and the organisations that support them. The use of
technology has been extremely useful in bringing about a whole new art
culture that challenges traditional art controls, connecting beyond
top-down imposed gate keeping remits that are only in place to serve a
privileged elite. It lets the makers and critical thinkers who are
genuinely engaged in art and culture at deeper levels, to break through
the glass ceiling that many have experienced world-wide."
http://blog.furtherfield.org/?q=node/315

Aileen Derieg.
Overland: Crossing Borders.

"As passports are now "enhanced" for security with RFID chips and
biometric photos, the conditions of inequality based on the nationality
of one's passport remain at least as rigid as ever, despite the patent
absurdity of that. In the small world that I live in, a substantial
number of people speak multiple languages and have several different
passports, and in the mid-90s I knew a number of people whose Austrian
residence permits were attached to passports issued by countries that
had meanwhile ceased to exist as such, which made the renewal of an
expired passport extremely complicated. Opportunities to study or work
somewhere else should not be dependent on something as random and
arbitrary as "nationality"." http://blog.furtherfield.org/?q=node/311

Ruth Catlow.
Overland: 36hrs Linz to Istanbul with border crossings.

"At 1 o'clock in the morning we were woken by an alarming banging on the
door, and a number of men shouting in languages we didn't understand,
interspersed with "passport control! polizei! open! hell-o!". Then more
agitated pounding, more shouting, different voices. The train remained
stationery. We played dead under our blankets. I could think of nothing
else to do than wait for them to go away. Then torch lights shone in
through our window and someone attempted to open the window from the
outside while Aileen tried to close it again. Only when she recognised
our conductor looking very flustered outside the window did we realise
that we must have misunderstood his instructions and we sheepishly
unlocked the door. A very irritated passport official demanded to know
what we had been drinking. The conductor told us later that there were
over 10 officials trying to gain entry to our cabin. We tried to explain
but still have no idea what he thought we were doing."
http://blog.furtherfield.org/?q=node/301

Helen Varley Jamieson.
after 090909.

"the day began for me at 4am - no, make that 3am, with the ramadan
drumming & yelling in the street to get everyone up in time for
breakfast before daylight. then i dozed until my alarm went off at 4am,
& got up to make coffee, check my email for last minute emergencies, &
make the links to the stages live. my first 090909 HQ was my humble
hostel bedroom. at 5am istanbul time everything kicked off in the 090909
foyer, where 20 online audience members plus an as-yet-unknown number at
nodes in canada (surrey & calgary) & new zealand (dowse art gallery &
hutt city libraries) where gathered to celebrate the start of 090909."
http://blog.furtherfield.org/?q=node/304

--------------------------------->

More about The Furtherfield Blog:
This multi-blog is a place to intuitively explore media arts and related
practices, together, as it occurs, to develop understanding and to
learn, without any pressure to formulate conclusions, it is about
experience and process, the bits in between. Set up in Autumn 2006,
initially as a place for informal, day to day exchange between members
of the Furtherfield.org team, including editors/reviewers. We soon
discovered this format suited some people more than others and are now
open to new contributors. The blog is not intended as a platform to
promote particular projects. Instead it invites individuals to explore
their own perspectives on their own terms; personal thoughts, emotional

Other Info:

Furtherfield
http://www.furtherfield.org

We are on Twitter