[spectre] call to EU citizens to stop Bill Gates

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 4 20:34:22 CEST 2010

from: http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/2010/04/02/gambling-with-open-a-how-bill-gates-made-money-moment/
:

-----------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOXb3O9I_0
Bill Gates is to new media as Rupert Murdoch is to old media–an
atavistic force of economics, mad gambling, and vector misdirection.

Beyond my undying desire to share TNT’s Pirates of Silicon Valley with
everyone I know, I am sharing this video to put eyes onto Bill Gates’
sharkiness. The man is a ruthless, underhanded animal when it comes to
profit and market control. So when I read that key elements of policy
regarding a European Union commitment to open source and open
standards is at stake in the EU’s Digital Agenda, I already knew who
was behind it before reading this tweet from David Hammerstein, ex-
Member of European Parliament for the Greens:

‘SOS to everyone as sources confirm that Kroes is about to eliminate
“open standards” policy from EU digital agenda; Kroes has been under
intense lobbying pressure from Microsoft to get rid of
interoperability and open source goals of EU.’

Further confirmation of my suspicions appears in a ComputerWorld
article on the issue:

According to people with good contacts to the politicians and
bureaucrats drawing up the Agenda, Microsoft is lobbying hard to
ensure that open standards and open source are excluded from that
policy – and is on the brink of succeeding in that aim.

Without a EU citizenship, there is little I can do besides call
attention to the fact that Microsoft is trying to hardball another
government into maintaining the M$ business model and, by extension,
their position as owners of the most common formats. Please, if you
care about this and have an EU citizenship, fill in your comments in
the online survey, online until 6 April.

John Haltiwanger