[spectre] ADA Symposium, 10-12 December, 2010, Whanganui, Aoteoaroa/New Zealand

Honor Harger honor at va.com.au
Mon Aug 16 15:17:36 CEST 2010

Dear All,

Please find below the first announcement about this years's Aotearoa
Digital Arts (ADA) symposium. We're excited to announce that the
symposium will this year take place in Whanganui.

We'd be thrilled to welcome some of our international friends to our
part of the world.

Best wishes,

Su Ballard, Zita Joyce, Stella Brennan, Douglas Bagnall, Julian
Priest, Honor Harger
ADA Trustees

7th ADA Symposium
  10 - 12 December 2010
Whanganui
Aoteoaroa/New Zealand

http://aotearoadigitalarts.org.nz/about/

We are thrilled to announce that this year's ADA symposium will take
place in the unique surrounds of Whanganui. The programme will engage
with the local environment and community through exhibitions,
projections, and waka voyages on the Whanganui river, and as always
there will be in-depth discussions on current work and interests in
media art. This will be a major ADA event.

The topic of the symposium is 'Energetics and Informatics'.

We have conceived the following broad thematics.

* Media and Energy
- exploring the material of media, information and energy in digital arts.

* Energy Networks
- new forms of energy production, distribution and storage
- infrastructural critique.

* Social Energy
- participatory practice, DIY media, floss approaches, social
networks as a medium for art.

* Sustainable Media
- re-localised media, slow media, sustainable response to globalised
arts practices.

We will be working with One River and have waka available for 50. So
we are looking for some project ideas that explore the river. We're
also on the lookout for forms of alternative transport to, from and
around the city, bikes, trains, electric vehicles etc.

We have also booked out the Pioneer Room in the Memorial Hall which
is a fantastic modernist slab in Queens Park right in the centre of
town. We are collaborating  with the Sarjeant Gallery who are
offering gallery space as well as the outside of the building for
projections. We have exhibition and workshop space at Quay School of
the Arts and Whanganui School of Design as well as The Green Bench
project room and kitchen. There are other possible performance and
screening venues all within walking distance.

We'll be making an official announcement and call for proposals by
mid September, but for now if you have any ideas, plans, suggestions
or questions please drop us a mail:

Email: symposium2010 at aotearoadigitalarts.org.nz

cheers,

ada trustees - douglas, honor, julian, stella, su, zita