[spectre] The Status Project: Data-Mining Our Identities.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu Jul 22 18:27:48 CEST 2010

Sorry for any cross posting...

The Status Project: Data-Mining Our Identities.

An Interview with Heath Bunting - Part 1.

In this two part interview, Marc Garrett discusses with Heath Bunting
his current work within two distinctive areas of digital culture and
sport-art starting with The Status Project, which studies the
construction of our 'official identities' and creates what Bunting
describes as "...an expert system for identity mutation".

His research explores how information supplied by the public in their
interaction with organisations and institutions is logged. The project
draws on his direct encounters with specific database collection
processes and the information he was obliged to supply in his life as a
public citizen, in order to access specific services; also on data
collected from the Internet and from information found on governmental
databases. This data is then used to map and illustrate how we behave,
relate, choose things, travel and move around in social spaces. The
project surveys individuals on a local, national and international level
producing maps of influence and personal portraits for both
comprehension and social mobility.

http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=402

————>

Other Info:

A living, breathing, thriving networked neighbourhood...

We are on identi.ca & Twitter

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield

Other reviews,articles,interviews
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php

Furtherfield – online media arts community, platforms for creating,
viewing, discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change.
http://www.furtherfield.org

HTTP Gallery – physical media arts Gallery (London).
http://www.http.uk.net

Netbehaviour – an open email list community engaged in the process of
sharing and actively evolving critical approaches, methods and ideas
focused around contemporary networked media arts practice.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

Join Furtherfield.org on Resonance 104.4FM - weekly Broadcasts
http://www.furtherfield.org/resonancefm.php

Furtherfield Blog – shared space for personal reflections on media art
practice. http://blog.furtherfield.org

VisitorsStudio – real-time, multi-user, online arena for creative ‘many
to many’ dialogue, networked performance and collaborative polemic.
http://www.visitorsstudio.org/x.html

Furthernoise – an online platform for the creation, promotion,
criticism and archiving of innovative cross genre music and sound art
for the information & interaction of the public and artists alike.
http://www.furthernoise.org