[spectre] Trajectories: How to Reconcile the Careerist Mentality with Our Impending Doom.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Jun 18 12:45:56 CEST 2010

Sorry for any cross posting...

Trajectories: How to Reconcile the Careerist Mentality with Our
Impending Doom.

by Ellie Harrison

 From September 2008 - June 2010, Ellie Harrison undertook a Leverhulme
Scholarship on the Master of Fine Art programme at Glasgow School of
Art. The thesis published forms one of the major outcomes of her
research during this period. This is part one of four weekly articles to
be published on Furtherfield.

Part 1, here:
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=393

How Can We Continue Making Art? - which questions whether there is a
place for art in a world which is fast approaching environmental
catastrophe, and Altermoderism: The Age of Stupid
(http://tinyurl.com/32a3wr7) published on Furtherfield (26/8/09) - which
uses Nicolas Bourriaud's Altermodern exhibition at Tate Britain in 2009
as a paradigm for exploring the art world institution's lack of
acknowledgement and action over climate change.

Trajectories: How to Reconcile the Careerist Mentality with Our
Impending Doom, addresses the ethical implications of continuing to
choose the career of artist in the twenty-first century. It is a
manifesto of sorts, written from the personal perspective of a young
UK-based artist looking to identify worthwhile reasons for continuing
down this 'self-interested' path, given that the future we are likely to
face as a result of climate change, is so different from how we dreamt
our careers might pan out whilst growing up under Thatcher and New
Labour. It explores how we should aim to evolve our roles as artists, in
light of this, and what form a new 'reconciled practice' might take.

————>

Other Info:

A living, breathing, thriving networked neighbourhood...

We are on identi.ca & Twitter

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield

Other reviews,articles,interviews
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php

Furtherfield – online media arts community, platforms for creating,
viewing, discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change.
http://www.furtherfield.org

HTTP Gallery – physical media arts Gallery (London).
http://www.http.uk.net

Netbehaviour – an open email list community engaged in the process of
sharing and actively evolving critical approaches, methods and ideas
focused around contemporary networked media arts practice.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

Join Furtherfield.org on Resonance 104.4FM - weekly Broadcasts
http://www.furtherfield.org/resonancefm.php

Furtherfield Blog – shared space for personal reflections on media art
practice. http://blog.furtherfield.org

VisitorsStudio – real-time, multi-user, online arena for creative ‘many
to many’ dialogue, networked performance and collaborative polemic.
http://www.visitorsstudio.org/x.html

Furthernoise – an online platform for the creation, promotion,
criticism and archiving of innovative cross genre music and sound art
for the information & interaction of the public and artists alike.
http://www.furthernoise.org