[spectre] (fwd) Call for contributions to the review "Plastik Art & Science"

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Tue Jun 22 12:46:10 CEST 2010

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:59:24 +0200
Subject: Call for contributions to the review "Plastik Art & Science"
From: plastik <plastik.art.science at gmail.com>

call for contributions

In vivo
The artist on display?

[Plastik Art&Science]
http://art-science.univ-paris1.fr/

Art that is created out of the living world
(bio-art, body-art, environmental art...) is
today commonly directed by a desire that one
could define using the prefix: "trans-".  One is
of course immediately reminded of the transgenic,
and Eduardo KAC's research, for example, on the
genetic marker Lucifrase which he transmits to
mice, or his creation, Edunia, a petunia carrying
fragments of his own DNA. One is also reminded of
transmutation, and the doll's clothes made out of
animal skin cultures by the SymbioticA group. Or
of transgression in relation to contemporary
ethics, which could apply to the two preceding
examples, but also to more performatives
experiments, such as Blue by Yann Marussich, a
performance in which, installed in an airtight
box, he sweats blue methylene from every pore of
his skin, when the substance is declared
dangerous if ingested even by the manufacturer.
The preoccupation with transmission is also
omnipresent in artistic practices involving the
living, as one can see in works such as The
cosmopolitan chicken project by Koen Vanmechelen,
in which the artist is attempting to produce a
genetically universal hen by marrying hens of
different origin each season in order to obtain,
within a few decades, the absolute mixed race
hen. And certainly, such considerations also
remind us of the question of transversality and
transdisciplinarity, processes which these
artists inevitably touch upon as they work
towards their goal: a comprehension that differs
from the living world in its analysis that is
jointly artistic and scientific.  In fact, we are
obliged to note that the artists who are
interested in the living world are increasingly
distancing themselves from the notion of the
reproducibility of reality to experiment with the
transformation of this world. This type of art
seems to seek a way of going beyond the criteria
of representation, and perhaps even of the design
of the living world, through an almost
necessarily experimental confrontation with
reality, which is why we have decided to use the
prefix "trans" here: "beyond", "through".   The
question almost immediately arises on the
definition of the artist as auto-experimenter. Up
to what point might he or she be ready to
experiment on the living and on his or herself in
particular in order to succeed in going beyond a
new frontier of artistic representation?  We
would like to present a reflexion on the
performative dimension of this type of art. In
the search for a form of transformer art related
to the living world, it seems indeed essential
that we question the creator's position, as he or
she is perpetually obliged to reconsider his or
her experience, in order to allow the spectator
to apprehend a world living itself in the process
of transformation. How does the artist therefore
plan to address the spectator in an artwork on
the living that he or she is the first living
being to test? Is the spectator's comprehension
of an artwork increased or decreased by the
experimentation? Does the spectator feel
mobilized by such procedures? Many questions
aimed at suggesting the state of the analysis of
the contemporary living world by artists, whose
experiments reach sometimes improbable
dimensions, and can remain at the project stage.
This is why we want to insist on the prospective
dimension, which leaves enough room for fiction
and research, in this call for projects.  Limit
for the reception of entries:
Please send your entries by email before the 15th of September, 2010.

Rédaction [Plastik]
plastik.art.science at gmail.com
CERAP - Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne
47 rue des Bergers 75015 Paris - France

Olga Kisseleva
olga.kisseleva at univ-paris1.fr

Conditions for the reception of entries:
Authors are invited to propose texts of 3000 to
10000 characters.  Up to 10 images can be
included, with a resolution of 72 dpi.  They
should be sent separately, with mention of their
place, title and source.  The same goes for
pictures and other illustrations in an image
format.  The first page should contain: the title
of the article, the name(s) of the author(s),
their affiliation(s), their email and postal
addresses, a summary of 10 to 15 lines and a list
of key words characterising the content of the
article.  It is important to specify that we are
not referring here to "live arts", i.e. with the
performing arts, but with the visual artworks
dealing with the questions of the living world,
in the scientific sense of the term, including
biology, ecology and the behavioural sciences
(ethology).