[spectre] Review of Transmediale.10 - Futurity Now!

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Mar 2 16:01:32 CET 2010

Sorry for any cross posting...

Review of Transmediale.10 - Futurity Now!

By Marcello Lussana and Gaia Novati.

http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=380

The article features artworks, projects and conference highlights from
individuals, groups and organisations. Honor Harger, Gebhard Sengmuller,
Franz Buchinger, Ryoji Ikeda, Julian Oliver, Damian Stewart, Clara Boj,
Diego Diaz, Ken Rinaldo, Michell Teran, Aaron Koblin, Daniel Massey,
F.A.T, Warren Neidich, Kahaimzon Michel, Bruce Sterling, I-Wei Li, Steve
Lambert Matteo Pasquinelli and more...

This year's Transmediale.10 Festival explores the theme 'future' through
connections between arts and technology. A part of the introduction
reads "Futurity is a concept that examines what the 'future' as a
conditional and creative enterprise can be. At its heart lays the
intricate need to counter political and economic turmoil with visionary
futures. [...] what roles internet evolution, global network practice,
open source methodologies, sustainable design and mobile technology play
in forming new cultural, ideological and political templates."

2010 is a year that has often represented the future in Science Fiction
literature, such as Arthur C. Clarke's 2010: Odyssey Two, and now here
we are. A good time to compare how we percieved the future, the past,
and assess what is really happening, what we lost and what we have
gained, and 'perhaps' find better ways to proceed. Art can offer
different perspectives, ways of seeing and understanding, revealing our
present states of being, sharing alternatives or even new meanings for
our futures. This festival allows those visiting and taking part, an
opportunity to explore, negotiate possible avenues in understanding
together, what all this means.

------------>

Other Info:

A living, breathing, thriving networked neighbourhood...

We are on Twitter
http://twitter.com/furtherfield

Other reviews/articles/interviews
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php

Furtherfield - online media arts community, platforms for creating,
viewing, discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change.
http://www.furtherfield.org

HTTP Gallery - physical media arts Gallery (London).
http://www.http.uk.net

Netbehaviour - an open email list community engaged in the process of
sharing and actively evolving critical approaches, methods and ideas
focused around contemporary networked media arts practice.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

Furtherfield Blog - shared space for personal reflections on media art
practice. http://blog.furtherfield.org

VisitorsStudio - real-time, multi-user, online arena for creative 'many
to many' dialogue, networked performance and collaborative polemic.
http://www.visitorsstudio.org/x.html

Furthernoise -  an online platform for the creation, promotion,
criticism and archiving of innovative cross genre music and sound art
for the information & interaction of the public and artists alike.
http://www.furthernoise.org