[spectre] Data-driven Sound Synthesis, a practical seminar (Barcelona)

l'ull cec info at lullcec.org
Tue May 18 21:07:47 CEST 2010

DATA-DRIVEN SOUND SYNTHESIS
        a practical seminar with Stefan Kersten & Wernfried Lackner

friday 21.05.2010, 18:00-22:00h
saturday 22.05.2010, 11:00h-20:00h
sunday 23.05.2010, 11:00-20:00h

Hangar. Passatge del Marquès de Santa Isabel, 40. Barcelona.

60 €

limited places available

sign up at: info at lullcec.org

+info: [ http://lullcec.org ]

---------------------------------------

Content-based analysis techniques, i.e. synthesis techniques guided by
the acoustical and perceptual properties of the source sound material,
have been rapidly gaining ground in the sound and music computing
community in the last decade. This workshop acknowledges the
importance of these new techniques and aims at helping the
participants to experiment with content-based techniques and laying a
groundwork for further exploration.

We will start by introducing a framework that allows experimentation
with content-based analysis and recomposition of sound segments stored
in a database with only minimal programming knowledge. We will have an
occasional closer look at more involved techniques and concepts such
as musical feature extraction, concatenative synthesis and audio
mosaicing. The focus will be on showing how various open source tools
can be used productively in combination, without having a master
degree in music technology.

Participants should have a strong interest in electroacoustic or
electronic music production and shouldn't be afraid of using a text
editor for code editing. The tools we'll be using are Haskell,
SuperCollider and MeapSoft; we will provide participants with a Linux
Live CD with the relevant software installed as well as software
packages for installation on a laptop (the installation method works
for Linux and MacOS X only). Participants should bring their own
laptop and headphones.

The first session will be mainly an introduction and a session to get
the software up and running on the participants' machines. During the
weekend, the workshop will start at 11:00 and extend until the evening
until around 20:00., with some time allocated for lunch in-between
those hours.

+info: [ http://lullcec.org ]
sign up at: info at lullcec.org