[spectre] V2_Newsletter December 2010

V2_ joris at v2.nl
Fri Nov 26 14:18:18 CET 2010

V2_Newsletter, December 2010
www.v2.nl

The Politics of the Impure
V2_Publishing

A new V2_ publication is out! The Politics of the Impure is an explicit
attempt to forge a new creation myth: one of a wilderness that is not
pure but technological. It investigates the urge for the pure but also
advocates a much deeper need for the impure, not to reinstate a new
organicism or back-to-nature movement but to trace progression to a
point where all modernist values reverse, where technology becomes an
agent for the impure and the imperfect. Technology, long an agent for
homogeneity and purity, is now turning into one for heterogeneity and
global contingency.

http://www.v2.nl/publishing/the-politics-of-the-impure

Perform!
December 2, 2010 | 8--11 p.m.
V2_, Eendrachtsstraat 10, Rotterdam
Admission: Free

An evening with Chris Salter and TeZ. V2_ has invited Chris Salter to be
a guest curator for four months starting in December. To kick off his
main project, the Performative Ecologies expert meeting, taking place
early next year, Salter will introduce his book Entangled and the
research topics he will focus on in his curatorship. TeZ presents his
immersive installation and performance ANHARMONIUM, which investigates
spatial awareness via light reflections of water waves.

http://www.v2.nl/events/perform

V2_AR: Reality, Check!
December 16, 2010 | 12--6 p.m.
Gouvernestraat 133, Rotterdam
Admission: free (reservation required)

V2_ will hold the third Augmented Reality Expert meeting as part of the
V2_AR Ecosystem series. The primary goal will be to identify current
developments in the field beyond the hype. Our keynote speaker will be
Professor Martin Wiedmer, director of the Institute for Research in Art
and Design in Basel. The main part of the day will be dedicated to
artists' presentations in the field. Attendance is free, but a
reservation is required.

http://www.v2.nl/events/reality-check

Test_Lab: Tools for ARt
December 16, 2010 | 8--11 p.m.
V2_, Eendrachtsstraat 10, Rotterdam
Admission: free

After the expert meeting, we'll throw the doors open for a new Test_Lab
edition. In Test_Lab: Tools for ARt, we'll dig through the AR toolbox
and take a close look at all the technologies inside. With live
demonstrations of AR technologies and artworks.

http://www.v2.nl/events/tools-for-art

Palm Top Theater Workshops
November 27, 2010 -- January 8, 2011

In the Palm Top Theater Workshops at V2_, students are developing new
content for i3DG, a new analog application for the iPhone and iPad that
generates a 3D experience. We'll exhibit their work in the Palm Top
Theater exhibition from January 22 to February 13, during and after the
International Film Festival Rotterdam. More than 800,000 people have
already watched a movie about the project on our YouTube channel --
check it out on our website.

http://www.v2.nl/events/palm-top-theater

V2_Archive Sales

The V2_Archive is making a final sale of audio editions that were
released between 1993 and 2003. This is a unique opportunity to listen
to some very interesting works from our Archive, which we are making
available for a limited period.

http://www.v2.nl/archive/sales/
http://store.v2.nl

V218 - "The Great New World In Environment And Acceleration" is
compilation CD of several Manifestations at V2_ with works by Pedro
Bericat, The Haters, Rui Kuivila, Alex Adriaansens/Joke Brouwer, Barney
Haynes, Steina Vasulka/Michael Saup, among others (1993). Includes a
booklet with an opening text by Emanuel Dimas de Melo Pimenta.

V221 - "Snake, Rattle, Roll / Degenerates in Dreamland" - are two
radioplays on CD by Gregory Whitehead, the first one won the Prix Futura
in Berlin in 1993 (1995). With booklet and complete text of the plays.

V227 - "just about now" is CD based on a sound exhibition with Frans de
Waard, Carsten Nikolai, Ryoji Ikeda, Peter Duimelinks, Francisco Lopéz,
Roel Meelkop (1998).

V228 - "La Selva - sound environments from a neotropical rain forest" by
Francisco Lopéz (1998). Comes with an extensive booklet on concept,
theory and project specificities.

V229 - "WrK" are Toshiya Tsunoda, Hiroyuki Iida, Jio Shimizu and m/s
(Minoru Sato), and this CD and booklet features their work as expressed
in m/s' text on concerning sound as a physical vibration and audio
signal transmission system of this (1999).

V230 - "just about now" (2) is a compilation CD-catalog based on the
same name exhibition, curated by Shinichi Yanai and Roel Meelkop (2000).
Included in the booklet features an introduction by Brandon LaBelle, and
texts by the partipant artists, such as m/s, BMB.con, Peter Duimelinks,
Frans de Waard, Edwin van der Heide, Jio Shimizu, Masahiro Miwa, Roel
Meelkoop & Reignier Schimmel, Toshiya Tsunoda, and Justin Bennet.

V231 - "b [] + 2.7K" by Kozo Inada + *0, two Japanese minimal artists
working with the microwave sound spectrum (2001).

V233 - "Favorites" by Roel Meelkoop, double release LP and CD with
differing tracks (2003).