Re: [spectre] "Soft Borders" 4th Upgrade International Conference, 18-21 October 2010. São Paulo

Franck Ancel ancelfranck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 11:26:10 CEST 2010

  Unfortunately, I have not found the money in France for my trip  in SP
:( 4SB's 4th Upgrade!
Please, enjoy there my abstract just for Borders out. Have a nice time
in Brazil. Best A+F

The worLd of Grid will draw on lineS

Franck Ancel is having an event which will commence a few hours after
the official opening of the Shanghai World's Fair. He proposes to each
of you to experience a virtual pavilion. This is one year before China
launches its uninhabited module "Triangong-1" into space. When
translated literally, its name means "Celestial Palace", where the
Taikonautes will conduct experiments in zero gravity.

Franck Ancel had already brought up this near future in his artistic
project <<1957/2007: from Sputnik Satellite to Explorer Art>>. That
cosmic dimension is today a major factor in the planetary imagination.
In, during a conference he gave in Silicon Valley, during ISEA06, he
even imagined "A Scenography towards a Planetary Network for Shanghai
2010", also concerned with satellites.^

Without any satellites, the current conception of the Universal
Exposition has transformed the narrow streets of Shanghai, where the
universal game of hopscotch^ had been played by the city's youth for
centuries. Now, *Ancel will create a Celestial Hopscotch* in the
zerography of planetary consciousness

At the Universal Exposition of Paris in 1900, Loïe Fuller danced under
the flag of its electricity Pavilion. *Ancel offers by Internet everyone
to design their own virtual Pavilion*, to "dance" on the ground of world
cities, a hopscotch grid already present on five continents where* the
land becomes zero and the sky infinite.*

Franck Ancel also put this continental universality into play in 2005
during his trip from Shanghai to Europe when he created the world
premiere, broadcasting a real time video from the air lasting 64 minutes
live over the internet via satellite, at more than 900 kilometers per
hour and at an altitude of nearly 30,000 feet.

64 words per minute were broadcast in this video in this manifesto in
order to construct a personal cosmological lexicon. For this new event,
they will make up the eight squares of the Celestial Hopscotch grid,
which each can fill in from his own imagination. It is this type of
numerological alchemy that will orient our event <<from zero to
infinity>> under the dome of the Temple de Pentemont in Paris on June
26, using as its basis an original, as yet unseen, manuscript by Mallarmé.

One week before that date, a Celestial Hopscotch grid will be drawn on
the outskirts of the International Art Fair in Basel, Switzerland. The
place has yet to be determined, but it will probably be in front of the
Euro-Airport. Another will be drawn in Paris on May 19 in rue de
l'Exposition (Exposition Street). The last Celestial Hopscotch grid will
be drawn before the Marathon of Shanghai is run just before the closing
of the 2010 World's Fair, as part of the <<Global Poetic System>> project.

To be continued
http://turbulence.org/blog/2010/06/13/live-stage-the-celestial-hopscotch-online/